General New Fiat 600

Currently reading:
General New Fiat 600

Fiat 600 name revived for their next big new model:

What's everybody's thoughts?

EDIT: Update: I found that it IS based on the e-2008 platform... Is this the end of Fiat?
Stellantis now appears to be the European version of GM... and Fiat, the next victim akin to what they did to SAAB?!

Much clearer in this article:

Last edited:
The minute Peugeot got their hands on Fiat the Italian style and way of doing things was dead dead dead. Why is anyone surprised?

I know its inevitable that these things happen but it doesnt mean we have to like it. Peugeot are OK if you like that sort of thing, and many do, it has a place. But individuality, precision and character they dont have in the same way. I have already decided I shall be looking at Korean and Japanese products next time. If Im going to have something different it WILL be different by choice and selection and not having either VAUXHALL OR PEUGEOT SUPPLIED BY STEALTH. I like just about everything about the Fiats I have owned and I like the fact they are designed for specific types of roads and terrain. Its this that gives them the unique feel. Stellantis, NO NEVER under any circumstances whatsoever. AND Mr Peugeot I have not forgotten what you did to my Dad 42 years ago with your so called cash back offer. Trust you lot.. In this family not until I lie in the ground! Until then I will continue to pay the difference for them to drive something else.

The minute Peugeot got their hands on Fiat the Italian style and way of doing things was dead dead dead. Why is anyone surprised?

I know its inevitable that these things happen but it doesnt mean we have to like it. Peugeot are OK if you like that sort of thing, and many do, it has a place. But individuality, precision and character they dont have in the same way. I have already decided I shall be looking at Korean and Japanese products next time. If Im going to have something different it WILL be different by choice and selection and not having either VAUXHALL OR PEUGEOT SUPPLIED BY STEALTH. I like just about everything about the Fiats I have owned and I like the fact they are designed for specific types of roads and terrain. Its this that gives them the unique feel. Stellantis, NO NEVER under any circumstances whatsoever. AND Mr Peugeot I have not forgotten what you did to my Dad 42 years ago with your so called cash back offer. Trust you lot.. In this family not until I lie in the ground! Until then I will continue to pay the difference for them to drive something else.
I don't know why I'm so surprised. I had to stop myself when I first came across this as I presumed it was as much a copy of a Peugeot as the new little Fiat Citroen Ami thing... but the first two articles I read didn't cite PSA, they mentioned 'Jeep DNA" which got my hopes up that this might have been squarely on the FCA side of Stellantis... but nope. That's it. Fiat is forever as much as brand as Vauxhall has been, or Seat or Skoda have been for a long time :-/ Someone mentioned on one of my other threads how the next Panda will likely be a re-done 208... that's my interest stamped out if that's the direction they go. Of all the cars in that class... that's what they're going with?!

Now, I don't want to start any heated debates at all, but IF (and it's a big IF) the EV thing dies out in the next decade or less, and suddenly, Fiat saved a tonne of wasted R&D and can go back to the current mild-hybrid / Firefly engines in their small cars... maybe there is hope in the long term future if they ever broke free. Surely the Italian government would support that.. they probably only gave way to this merger as, as things stand with the EV push, Fiat wasn't as prepared as it in theory, should be without PSA's EV tech. I can only hope that my wild theory of EVs being a fad proves true... Won't hold my breath though.

I'd recommend you steer clear of anything Korean. I'm not saying they haven't come a long way in quality and looks... BUT, that's only relative to where they were 10..20 years ago. I find their designs a bit of a parody of a little bit of everything all the other manufacturers were doing (one of the old i20s is a knock off of the Corsa D from a mile away!). My friend with the i30N who puts exclusively premium petrol in it, has had the fuel system fail (common problem on the GDI engines, his usually found in some of their Genesis big / fast models in other countries but tuned to the balls in the EU market hot hatch i30N). Common fault although given that the engine in this form is so seldomly bought in the UK, not popular for breaking parts. He's covered by the great 7 year warranty right? Wrong. The stingy ****s charged him diagnostic fee (although we already scanned it) of £125, although they already told him 'he used bad fuel', only to, surprise surprise, blame the fuel... gave him a bill of best case £1,800 and worst case near £8,000... Hyundai UK said they can't argue with the dealer.... utter, utter joke. He's now stuck with a £23k garden ornament. The dealer threatened him with charges to move it. Got it moved to a local mechanic he's used, for all of 3 weeks now 'hasn't had the time to look at it' .. utter BS also, he just doesn't want to touch it with a ten foot barge pole as he knows it'll be part roulette, only parts available from the dealer, expensive parts with no returns once tried... and he won't risk it. That's the service, support and backing you have with Hyundai / Kia and its '7 year warranty'. And I can assure you, this guy legitimately drives it within the speed limit, I'll never forget him showing me the speed of it and feeling the limited HIT 60!!! Pathetic car company. Pathetic quality. It was a cool car, but I can't see any Focus RS / ST or Golf R / GTI user feeling like they'll ever give up the quality they have for that junk. I'd genuinely take a PSA product over it, and that's saying something!

I think the trick will be working out which model is developed by who and then buying that one.

Stellantis is/was a fairly equal PSA-FCA venture but PSA were probably further along with the EV tech' than FCA so it's inevitable that the new models will use the ready parts/infrastructure for the time-being. Fiat was ahead on platform engineering, small petrol engines and have a better presence in North and South America.

On the other hand, if future EV platforms are given to FCA (to be developed in Italy) then they'll gradually acquire some of the old Fiat DNA... albeit one refrigerator or washing machine is not much different to any other, so I fear that all Stellantis cars, and in fact all cars, will end up using the same electrical components from a few EV component manufacturers and therefore will start to become more and more homogenised and "samey".. even though they might look a bit different.

The only thing for sure is that Fiat's will always need "fixing again tomorrow" and will "rust", so we can hold onto that small slice of reputational individuality and continue to buy them just to annoy people who can't understand why we don't buy the "superior" inferior product that costs twice as much from your friendly local VAG dealer.. :)

Ralf S.

Just had a sit in a 600e and I was very impressed with design - inside and out - and the cabin materials quality. It was a La Prima. I don't think I'll buy an electric car (yet) but I could very well buy the forthcoming hybrid.

The only post-2000s cars I've seen with severe rust issues with my own eyes are turn of the century Ford's (Focus and Ka) and some early 2000s BMWs!
Some issues with later, 2010+, BMW, all in their traditional rear three quarter sill/wheelarches…seems to be a theme!

Some issues with later, 2010+, BMW, all in their traditional rear three quarter sill/wheelarches…seems to be a theme!
I walked past a 2013 Corsa D last week, white, decent spec one for its time. Crusty around the wheel arches, everywhere you sort of looked it was succumbing to tin-worm. nearly every edge! I was always used to looking at the odd Corsa-B in this sorry state, because of age. Then I realised that even the newest Corsa D's (2014) are now 10 year old cars, at best. Age is understandable for rust. The Ford / BMW thing seemed to be much earlier on.

I can recall a decade ago a little consumer movement for 'Rusty Dusters'... the UK RHD Dacia Duster's were apparently rusting within the warranty period. Produced in India for our market I think. I wonder what happened with that, did they ever get repaired or reimbursed? I still see plenty of the Sandero, Dusters and ..... Logans (?) about. That's a third modern rusty-car I suppose!

Back