General Need Your Recommendations for OBD2 Reader for 2018 2.3l Ducato

Currently reading:
General Need Your Recommendations for OBD2 Reader for 2018 2.3l Ducato

zakandme

Hi. I have a 2018 2.3L Ducato based campervan that I bought from new. Over a period of about 9 months I have had to call out a technician twice in response to "Check engine" light and associated Limp Mode. On the first callout the engineer read the fault code - EGR, tapped it with a screw driver, said the EGR valve was probably stuck, cleared the code and said carry on - it probably won't happen again. I explained to him that being of mature years I have always been a gentle driver and he suggested I drive it harder. Then last week during a 250 mile trip from home it happened again. Same symptons. Second engineer read the code, said it was the EGR, cleared the code and said consider having a garage either clean it or replace. vehicle drove 250 miles home at about 70mph mainly motorway with no loss of power, or smoke. I think there may be an underlying problem, possibly involving the EGR or DPF though I have seen no DPF warning light appear but the exhaust pipe has some soot on it - whether that is residual from earlier I dont know but I've cleaned it and I was thinking of driving it really hard in manual mode (it's Comfortmatic) on the motorway for about half an hour to see if at re-appears. As you can probably tell, I have limited technical knowledge or capability in this field area so am likely at some stage to be handing the van over for repair as the fault has appeared twice. In the meantime I would like some means of self recovery since clearing the fault code has restored the vehicle to normal drivability without a 3 hour roadside wait it may be prudent to be able to clear the code myself while deciding how to procede with a long term solution.

So can anyone recommend a cost effective reader that will clear the code that can be carried in the cab?

Thanks

The normal recommendation is multiecuscan sometimes shortened to mes for use on a Windows laptop.an obd2 adaptor is also required. UK distributor is Gendan. The other software suitable for fiat's is alfaobd suitable for Windows or android, I use it on Samsung phone with a vgate bt4 dongle.
Do you know the error code p0401?
Is it a twin egr model or ad blue if so read

If twin egr it is not the hpegr valve

The normal recommendation is multiecuscan sometimes shortened to mes for use on a Windows laptop.an obd2 adaptor is also required. UK distributor is Gendan. The other software suitable for fiat's is alfaobd suitable for Windows or android, I use it on Samsung phone with a vgate bt4 dongle.
Do you know the error code p0401?
Is it a twin egr model or ad blue if so read

If twin egr it is not the hpegr valve
Thanks theoneandonly.
I think the mes software may be beyond my capabilities and I want something portable to carry in the cab in case I get stranded again. However I will contact Gendan and see what they think and am prepared to learn if necessary. Ideally though I'd prefer a self contained scanning module to identify and clear codes as a "get me home". The thread you referred me to is very scary in terms of implications. I overlooked reading the precise code as the engineers simply said its EGR and I was not aware there might be two. What a crazy design! How do I tell if its twin EGR? Its not an AdBlue model. The vehicle is showing 32.5 mpg and other than the aforementioned signs of soot on the exhaust is running well with no black smoke that I can see in the mirrors.

Thanks theoneandonly.
I think the mes software may be beyond my capabilities and I want something portable to carry in the cab in case I get stranded again. However I will contact Gendan and see what they think and am prepared to learn if necessary. Ideally though I'd prefer a self contained scanning module to identify and clear codes as a "get me home". The thread you referred me to is very scary in terms of implications. I overlooked reading the precise code as the engineers simply said its EGR and I was not aware there might be two. What a crazy design! How do I tell if its twin EGR? Its not an AdBlue model. The vehicle is showing 32.5 mpg and other than the aforementioned signs of soot on the exhaust is running well with no black smoke that I can see in the mirrors.
ADblu or not Look at the fuel flap open it .is there just one fuel cap for diesel or is there a second one for ad blu. just one its a dual egr if after 2016. There is a tutorial on how to use mes in the guide area. any assistance required just ask. We believe the p401 error has been mislabeled/misused by fiat in this instance

Back