Punto (Mk2/2b) Need help

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Need help

stuhogg

Hi all I need some help or advice please I have a punto mk2 02 plate and I'm having to fill my radiator levels up every day, and can here water swishing or gurgling around when I'm driving it also sometimes cuts out when I start it and a oil light comes on but just had new oil filter and oil change and levels are fine

Water issue first, this will either be a leak in the system allowing water out and air in or head gasket failure. Check for obvious leaks in the pipes which will show as a powder on the pipe from the coolant evaporating off.

Easiest way to check the head gasket is to have a compression test done and head gasket failure would show as one or two cylinders next to each other reading very low. Most garages can also do a chemical test of the coolant to determine if the head gasket is gone.

However most important issue is the oil light, when is this coming on.

Finally has the car had a recent head gasket change already.

Hi thanks for response oil light only comes on when I start engine and the afew afew seconds it cuts out then oil light comes on but not on when engine is fine

Oil light should come on with ignition they turn off within a second of the engine starting. If the engine stalls the oil light comes back on which is normal.

Your oil light is behaving correctly so nothing to worry about there.

Check all the pipes and connections for coolant leaks. Also bleed the coolant system to get all the air out (several good guides already on the forum for this). Once the system is full and bleed of air make sure you put the expansion cap back on tight as they can leak if not done up tight.

I already have done that just seems to still have to fill it up everyday or 2 days , had a service a month ago new sparkplug, oil and filter, air filter and still no change

Hi,
sounds very much like Headgasket.. as you'd see that much dripping under car if it was a leak, :eek:

:idea: cheapest/ easiest test;

take out the spark plugs again,
line them up as you take them out,..so they are in engine order, 1,2,3,4

look at the colour of the spark gap area,
it should really be a light oatmeal( digestive biscuit) lolour , to clear ( like new):cool:

any signs of rust , or soot..??
a photo would be good here ;)

generally IF a HG goes, it will leak between 2 cylinders,
so 2 x neighbouring spark plugs will be a"wrong" colour.

a compression test is more scientific.. but you'd need a tester..!!

Charlie

If you have no leaks then it sounds like head gasket. Time for a compression test. If you are handy with tools machine mart do a tester for £21.59 which wil fit.

I already have done that just seems to still have to fill it up everyday or 2 days , had a service a month ago new sparkplug, oil and filter, air filter and still no change

how much water at top-up..??

cup full / 2 litre bottle..??:confused:

if it's only a cupfull then you may be lucky..assuming you're not driving 300 miles a week;)

charlie

Hi all I top up about a litre every day or 2 & I'm good with tools but don't know what I'm doing lol,

Ok thats a bit too far for me to travel to lend a compression tester I'm afraid.

It's worth getting the tester at £21.59 as that is cheaper than paying a garage. If you can change spark plugs you can do a compression test.

To test warm up the engine then remove all four spark plugs, disable the injectors, some cars you can remove a fuse but I just unplug the control leads to the injectors. (This will temporarily put the engine light on but dont worry it will self clear later).

Screw the tester into the first spark plug hole, now you need to turn the engine over about 5 times with the throttle wide open, if you have long arms it is possible to reach in the open window to turn the key whilst holding the throttle open on the manifold. If you cant reach use an assistant to floor the accelerator wilst turning the key.

Pressure should build quickly and peak around 170 to 230 psi (others may correct me here). This is a dry test. Now put a couple of squirts from an oil can down the spark plug hole wait a few seconds then test again which is a wet test and checks the piston rings.

One or two adjacent cylinders being very low compared to the others indicates likely head gasket failure. Low figures on dry test that improve a lot on a wet test indicate worn bores or faulty piston rings.

Once done replace plugs and reconnect injectors and start engine to clear the engine light. Only note of caution this is very heavy on the battery so make sure it is fully charged and you may need to top it up afterwards.

Hi all just been quoted £250 for new head gasket, belts water pump and thermostat is that a decent quote

Back