My windscreen wiper fuse blows up

Currently reading:
My windscreen wiper fuse blows up

D

daniel

As soon as i switch the key the fuse blows up.
I can´t drive with rain weather :(

Any thoughts?
It's a 2001 bravo jtd_100

hi i had the same problem you need to change the wiper motor.

First lift the wipers in the air so it has no friction, second remove the lever that ges to the wiper motor and see if it works OK then, if yes - dismantle the wipers levers and the shafts that hold the wiper arms - they tend to rust.

sven3.jpg

Members Site ---------My Site

But the fuse blows up right when i rotate the key.
I don't even switch the wipers on. So i can't test anything.

And how am i sure it's the front motor and not the back one? :|

remove the back wiper see if that works...if not, then remove the front one, if it does then u know that its the front motor...

boosig.jpg

Easy to determine - what was the last ones you used ?
Plus did you before the fuses started to burn out hear any clicking noise from the back of the car ?

sven3.jpg

Well, the first time the fuse blew up it had the front wipers working.

I guess i should assume it's the front motor.
Anyone now if it's an expensive part?

Regards

mine cost £68 on trade form fiat. have a look, on the front motor, there should be a black cover over it, if there isnt then that could be ur problem, mine got water damage and stopped working.

boosig.jpg

Daniel - first disconnect the rod on the motor, and try just the motor with no attachment on the wipers - if it works, then there is too much friction on the leverage so the motor draws too much current.
But if you want to assume its the motor, buy one.

Apart from that - the same thing the rear one goes is dirt in the shaft to the wiper arm. It gets clogged with dirt due to the rubber O-seal letting water in, so it gets stuck, the motor draws too much current and fries it self.

Either way you need to take all of it apart to get to the motor.

sven3.jpg

i just got mines from a scrap yard mate. cost me £15 and its easy to fit in.

sven, he hasnt got the problem when he uses the motor, its when he starts the car...so he wont have chance to test it..but by unplugging it he can illiminate one after the other lol

its a short in ur wiring somewhere pal

boosig.jpg

Shaun, the wiper has a start/end position setting, so if you turn it on and it wont reach it its constantly ON. The only way to get it to stop is by removing the fuse or getting the key out.
Due to the fact he turned the wipers on and they didn't reach the end position, they are constantly on no matter they are visual in their right position.

A clever way of determining the cause:

1. remove plastics to get to the wiper
2. remove the wiper linkage and motor assembly
3. remove the linkage on the motor (M 6 nut - 13mm spanner)
4. turn the engine on - if the fuse blows, the linkage is ok.
if not.
5. remove the motor and test it direct on 12V
6. and so on .....

All from me on this subject.

sven3.jpg

Daniel, I think you would be wise to follow Svens advice before forking out any money

I'll get my hands dirty tomorrow.

I hope it's the motor, at least it seems the easiest/fastest fix!

Just before i start dismantling the car i decide to do one last try with another fuse and to my surprise now it works ?!

Maybe humidity is the problem, and it will be faulty again on a rainy day.

I got my hands tied now... i can't fix a problem with trial and error when all it's working.

I have to wait to a fault again ^^

i think it would be a good thing to spray all the linkage points with wd 40

yepp thats what happened with mine worked. but when it started raining loads and i used my wipers after around 5ish mins the fuse went again.. and it keept on happening it has a mind of its own. if i was you i would change the wiper motor..