General My wee injured Panda

Currently reading:
General My wee injured Panda

smc4761

Was out last week with my son and it was a windy day. Unfortunately my son opened the passenger door just as a huge gust if wind came along and caught the door which flew wide open

Now the door when you open it is making a dreadful noise. Whilst the door is not catching the front panel it is very close to it. I think it is catching the front panel though

So off we go to the garage tomorrow hoping for a cheap and quick simple fix

Seems a hinge adjustment or replacement is in order (if the connecting door material isn't bent). New hinges can get pricy depending on the vehicle, so I'd inquire about the door hinges from a breaker yard if the price for the parts alone is exorbitant. I wouldn't, however, skimp on the fitment and adjustment. Shoddy work there and the door tends to get misaligned quickly over time, adding up in costs and wearing the hinge mechanism early.

If you've not snapped the door check strip you've probably bent the door's frame around the door check strap.

The door will open until the check strap (the metal arm between the hinges) slides through the hole and hits the inner door frame inside, that stops it opening too far.

Force the door too far and it bends the inner door's frame outwards and that will allow the door to open out too far and hit (or very nearly) the wing.

Bending it back won't last too long as the metal will be weakened and will soon bend out again.

It far more common on two door cars as the bigger doors tend to catch the wind and that force and extra weight of the bigger door causes a lot of damage.

Back