My old Fiat Panda is dead. Why?

Currently reading:
My old Fiat Panda is dead. Why?

viktorkalev

Hello guys! With great pain I want to share that the first car in my life (Fiat Panda 2007 1.3 Multijet) left me. While driving on the motorway at maximum speed, i saw red engine light on the dashboard and I started to lose speed. Luck was with me and I managed to stop in the emergency lane, but I couldn't start anymore. Roadside assistance took me to a service station and they told me that the engine had no compression and that if I wanted it removed, inspected and possibly repaired, it would cost me dearly, something around £2,000, and that in their opinion it was not worth it. With great sadness I decided to send it for scrap, although I spent a lot of money on it and it was in perfect condition (every year full service and all repairs made, on the recommendation of the mechanics). In your opinion, why did the Panda left me about 120,000 miles away, wasn't it too early? Am I to blame for driving it at maximum speed on the motorway? Did I make a mistake in driving with a broken turbo for almost 4 years? Thank you for your attention.

These engines like clean oil, the chain can last a long time if looked after. Regardless of what is the service advise, it’s worth changing the oil and filter every 6 months regardless of mileage. I had a daily van with same engine with over a hundred and fifty thousand miles on the clock with original chain. Changed oil and filter regularly, running fine until a numpty wrote it off.

Hello guys! With great pain I want to share that the first car in my life (Fiat Panda 2007 1.3 Multijet) left me. While driving on the motorway at maximum speed, i saw red engine light on the dashboard and I started to lose speed. Luck was with me and I managed to stop in the emergency lane, but I couldn't start anymore. Roadside assistance took me to a service station and they told me that the engine had no compression and that if I wanted it removed, inspected and possibly repaired, it would cost me dearly, something around £2,000, and that in their opinion it was not worth it. With great sadness I decided to send it for scrap, although I spent a lot of money on it and it was in perfect condition (every year full service and all repairs made, on the recommendation of the mechanics). In your opinion, why did the Panda left me about 120,000 miles away, wasn't it too early? Am I to blame for driving it at maximum speed on the motorway? Did I make a mistake in driving with a broken turbo for almost 4 years? Thank you for your attention.

Hi Viktor.

Sorry to hear that.. it was most likely a chain failure that made the valves inoperative : no compression

In answer to your question..
A car with 'no boost' SHOULD last longer..(less strèss) but I suppose if the cause of turbo failure was linked to bad oil flow.. or had generated an air leak

In a newer vehicle it could be worthwhile investigating..
But same as my 14 year old multijet. When it needs major investment.. it will end.

Charlie

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys! Usually every year i had my oil and filters changed. Is it not supposed on a regular full services every year, mechanic to check timing chain reliability?

Thanks for the replies guys! Usually every year i had my oil and filters changed. Is it not supposed on a regular full services every year, mechanic to check timing chain reliability?

The timing chain is fully enclosed, so no inspection is possible, unless you want an expensive and time-consuming check. Only real check is for noise.

Thank you, portland_bill. Now I'm looking for my next car and I will be grateful for any advices and recommendations. My budget is £5000 and the car will be mainly used for commuting. 12 miles on motorway per day, around 50 per week. Is it worth it to stick with diesels engines? I'm looking for economy most of all. Is 1.25 petrol engine a bad choice for motorway driving? I'm willing to sacrifice speed in order to not push engine too much. Is it best to keep the revs around 2000 rpm? Thanks

For just 12 miles on the motorway, I'd not be considering diesel. But then I'd not be considering a diesel unless I was buying a van. Think of a petrol engine as a horse, good at running, then the diesel is a carthorse, lots of heavy pull. Diesel cars get their performance through the gearing, which is why they always feel strong, but a diesel engine gives its best efficiency when working, and cars don't make them work.

If you were happy with the Panda otherwise, I'd look for the best you can find for your budget. The 1.2 is fine, and will tolerate revving on the motorway. I regularly take mine along the M4 from Swindon to Bristol, steady 70mph all the way.
With a 1.2, look after oil changes and coolant, and it can last forever. And a cambelt change is not too difficult, although access may cause a little swearing.

Back