IMG_20130120_135047.jpg

Seicento My Little Red Sei...

Introduction

Well this is my pretty much standard Red(ish) Seicento...

I've had it since September last year, was at 71,000 miles and we're now up to 78,000 and now going stronger than ever :)

I haven't done much yet, mainly due to my insurance being so high since I'm 18.

Had an oil change & an ITG Foam Filter. Also got a new clutch and rear wheel bearings along with a new handbrake cable.

And of course I had to fit Abarth centre caps and black/red floor mats ;)

I've got some drilled discs and new OMP Sport pads to go on sometime soon.

(Sorry about the picture quality, I used my phone)

Edit:
thumbnailfiat.jpg
Reactions: blu73 and Sir16v
We'll today I've aqcuired another 8v 1.2 engine along with a 6 speed box :D

It will be a few months until this goes in since I have other stuff to pay for but things are looking good...

20140802_144401_Android.jpg

You can see in comparison to my standard P75 head this one has had a little bit of work:

20140717_165532_Android1.jpg

20140802_155432_Android.jpg

It also has had the P75 inlet that's been modified to fit properly:
20140802_155701_Android.jpg

Upon taking the inlet off I've noticed that most of it seems to have been rebuilt using stainless nuts and bolts :)

So far all I know for sure is that the flywheel has been lightened and the head has had some work, it also contains a reground camshaft...

It was built by Richard at Wolf Direct Racing
20140802_123227_Android.jpg

One other thing to mention is that my normal mpi ecu (non micro) is running the P75 engine flawlessly. Since we've now wrapped a second lambda in tin foil I don't even have an EML light!

So far I've only got about 40mpg from it, although that does include the incredible amount of time I've sat in traffic this week. (Great Yarmouth in the summer :( )

The bad stuff is lowering it to 60mm seems to have destroyed my top mounts as they now knock and it sounds like something it squeaking/rubbing sometimes. I can't pinpoint the noise. It feels like its coming through the floor, I initially suspected it was a hose running behind the inlet since it's jammed against the back of the bay but it doesn't seem to relate to engine movement, more to bumps. I'm guessing it could be that the very old ARB bushes don't like it being so low or the tigersealed rear mount has eaten itself, both of which can be sorted when this new engine goes in, possibly sooner.

I wish my mum would let me have a spare engine in the house, he says brushing past the tractor radiator and moving the exhaust manifold from under his feet, only to trip over on the exhaust itself.

Does anyone have a quick answer to this or could it be a world of different things?

Won't idle properly when it's cold, sometimes almost stalls. Not much power when it's cold either and a flat spot at 2-3k rpm.

I always found it slow when it was cold anyway (even when it was 1108) where everyone else says they find their car to be quicker when its cold.

Am I looking at different plugs? Coolant temperature sensor?

It also idles a bit low when it's hot and the oil pressure light comes on (didn't do that with the 1108). I've tried adjusting the throttle stop but with minor adjustments the ecu corrects it and brings the idle down again.

Rty swapping the oil pressure switch over. And the coolant temp sensor.

Will have to see how much a new coolant temp sensor is, part of the inlet manifold on mpi so I've only got one. Oil pressure switch is off the 1108 too....

So today I cleaned up my other header tank :)

20140806_205105_Android.jpg

Things on the gearbox front are looking ever more promising too, nothing certain yet though.... :devil:

Lumpy cam won't help idle.

Oil pressure could be a result of it almost stalling. I'd want to put a guage on it and test at "real" idle speed.

Thing is, you don't really know what you've got without a lot of checking/measuring/etc.

Wolf Direct had a rather flakey rep at times. Difficult to pick out anything really concrete.

Someone has shortened the valve guides -- no-one does that anymore: you may gain a little power initially, but you loose it as they wear a lot quicker and the valves don't seal properly.

Last edited:
Lumpy cam won't help idle.

Oil pressure could be a result of it almost stalling. I'd want to put a guage on it and test at "real" idle speed.

Thing is, you don't really know what you've got without a lot of checking/measuring/etc.

Wolf Direct had a rather flakey rep at times. Difficult to pick out anything really concrete.

Someone has shortened the valve guides -- no-one does that anymore: you may gain a little power initially, but you loose it as they wear a lot quicker and the valves don't seal properly.

If I very lightly rest my foot on the throttle the oil light goes out, I might have to have another play with the throttle stop to see what I can do.

Thing is with this new engine I have no idea of how long ago it was rebuilt although the block appears to be november 2004. I won't be taking it apart to see what I've got, it will be going straight in once I've got another mpi oil pump on it and all the pulleys etc. I'm told the engine was running at one stage last year but the bloke we bought it from lost all enthusiasm for it.

If the gearbox is the one we think it is it will have a low ratio maserati gearset in it and a limited slip diff :slayer: Although this will make the car utterly awful on long journeys.

(...)Not much power when it's cold either and a flat spot at 2-3k rpm(...)

Exactly the same my engine does with the C&B 280 cam.

I think it's caused by improper mapping, be it fuelling and/or ignition related, in my case it's acting a bit like having launch control when keeping it at said rpm in neutral. After about five seconds the engine revs further, cleanly.
If I go beyond that certain point of throttle it'll shoot passed the flat spot, be it 1/2 or WOT.
Also, if I keep it at the flat spot while driving and then go WOT it'll accellerate just fine immediately, no matter which gear it's in.

If the gearbox is the one we think it is it will have a low ratio maserati gearset in it and a limited slip diff :slayer: Although this will make the car utterly awful on long journeys.

That head looks exactly the same as the p75 engine I have that which came from a Fiat challenge Punto. I think it was also a wolf racing engine, stainless everything, reground cam etc.

My engine came with a low ratio box apparently which had a 3.9 final drive in it, sounds like yours is more interesting than that though. Do you know who did the box? Mine had a company name written on it but I can't remember what it was.

I'm still fecking with mine trying to get it to run right with a standard p75 ecu but don't really seem to be making much progress.

That head looks exactly the same as the p75 engine I have that which came from a Fiat challenge Punto. I think it was also a wolf racing engine, stainless everything, reground cam etc.

My engine came with a low ratio box apparently which had a 3.9 final drive in it, sounds like yours is more interesting than that though. Do you know who did the box? Mine had a company name written on it but I can't remember what it was.

I'm still fecking with mine trying to get it to run right with a standard p75 ecu but don't really seem to be making much progress.

I think Wolf Direct Racing did have a race punto themselves, I think all the P75 heads were done to a similar/identical spec. Lecook has the 8v head from a 600m engine which appears to be the same also. Whether this was another head RB put on it temporarily as it was being rebuilt or the actual head used I don't know. I have an 866 cam in it which looks to be a regrind, no idea on what spec though.

The gearbox was put together by Wolf as well, won't know it's the gearbox 100% until it's actually in the car but I'm pretty sure it is.

Exactly the same my engine does with the C&B 280 cam.

I think it's caused by improper mapping, be it fuelling and/or ignition related, in my case it's acting a bit like having launch control when keeping it at said rpm in neutral. After about five seconds the engine revs further, cleanly.
If I go beyond that certain point of throttle it'll shoot passed the flat spot, be it 1/2 or WOT.
Also, if I keep it at the flat spot while driving and then go WOT it'll accellerate just fine immediately, no matter which gear it's in.

It sounds like your flat spot is more obvious than mine, which if it relates to the higher lift camshaft, it would make sense as I have an 866 and you have a C&B 280.

This is annoying when it's cold since it happens to be in the exact rev range I drive in on my way to work each morning...

Back