imagejpg10_zpsef21d6fb.jpg

Punto (Mk1) My exploit yellow 75 elx

Introduction

Hi.
My name is Simon and I haven't been on here in ages.
I'm a fiat nut who has owned fiats all my life as have my family. I work in a fiat dealership in dundee and have treated myself to a new car, as it's the first time in my life I have been without a fiat.

I bought the following car off ebay for 4 reasons

1. I had one as my first car
2. I just bought a house and have somewhere to keep it
3. My mum had a brand new exploit yellow 55 sx back in '95
4. Have plenty fiat techs to fix it when it breaks

So, I'm in dundee, the car was in Yorkshire, so my dad and I left 5:30am Saturday morning in his 500L to pick it up. I was worried about bringing a near 20 year old fiat 260 mile up the road, but it didn't miss a beat. It drives like a new car.

History- we'll it was sold new to a mrs crappe, at carnell fiat, she had the car garaged from new, done 70,000 miles in it. It had its original dealer plates on it which I changed, as they were tatty. Full years mot with no advisories, and a full service history. She specced it up with a drivers airbag!

The car come with a few parking dings, original scuffed wheel trims, and a couple of light scratches, otherwise it's mint.
Luckily working in a fiat dealer, I can get parts, a workshop with a 40 years served fiat technician, a dent man and body shop.

Took the car into work today to get all the dents removed, was up on the ramps for a health check- solid underneath, just needs new discs and pads and a rocker cover gasket. Underneath is solid, clean and all present and correct. It also needs a new cam belt cover as mine is burst. Then that's it mint.
Turns out the rear tyres are the factory originals, made 3rd week of 1995, so it will be getting a full set of brand new Goodyear duragrips I have in my garage.
Surprisingly every single thing works on the car, even the remote locking and being an elx it has an electric sunroof!!!

It's quite funny because all the fiat techs were all over it today, donating parts. One of them had an exploit yellow touch up pen that's been in his toolbox for 15 years, got handbrake cables and a rocker cover gasket, with more bits offered. They also went on e-sigi and printed out the complete history of my car, showing recalls for brake pipes, airbag ecu etc which is nice to keep.

Work so far done-

New genuine wheel trims
New genuine punto mats
Original fiat tape deck
Genuine fiat lineaccessorie front and rear mudflaps
General tidy up
Clay, wet sand, machine polish bodywork
New numberplates
Dents removed
Brand new badges
Full valet

I love this car, I can't believe how mint it is. Taking bad with no power steering though.
I put it in the showroom and took some piccies.
Anyway the pictures.......

imagejpg1_zpsc924ba6a.jpg

imagejpg2_zps873fb497.jpg

imagejpg3_zps2d221895.jpg

imagejpg4_zps38ab8098.jpg

imagejpg5_zps96eb4620.jpg

imagejpg14_zps41d3d93c.jpg

imagejpg7_zpsbccf4ace.jpg

imagejpg6_zps92be4983.jpg

imagejpg9_zps849942d5.jpg

imagejpg8_zps6e832c96.jpg

imagejpg13_zps5e04db80.jpg

imagejpg10_zpsef21d6fb.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsc7b4da7e.jpg

imagejpg12_zpse1b5bd02.jpg

And my main/ daily car

image_zpsc9fa3907.jpg
The understanding I have is that the engine originally started off in 750 and 1000cc forms in the 80s Panda, and then went on to spawn the 1108cc, all the 8 and 16v 1242cc and then all the 1368cc variants over the years. Like I say, I'm just curious as to how much was shared between all the 8v Punto engines. (Not including the 1.6 '90')

The basic engine block is largely the same, it has been tweaked and fettled over the years, but there is very little the same between a 1990s 16v engine and a 2007 8v engine, the biggest and most obvious difference is a completely different cylinder head. Your 8v is not a non interference if I remember correctly, neither is the later 16v but they won’t share the same pistons and Conrods maybe the crank is the same? Most of the similarities will be outside the engine with things like pipes and mounting brackets, but realistically there is very little that’s the same.

Think of it like a car “platform” they make the Punto grande on the same platform as the 500x but while a lot of measurements between one thing and a other might be the same, the overall car is completely different.

Last edited:
Thought I’d try out one of they window etching kits.
This used to be common in the 1990’s- supposedly when car crime was high and I remember my mums new punto having this done by the garage before delivery when it was new in 1995. Simple enough- assuming the stuff you put on the glass is pretty nasty stuff....

Attachments

• 34B5BCA3-D7FF-4009-ADB4-E60A3C93900B.jpeg
    34B5BCA3-D7FF-4009-ADB4-E60A3C93900B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • 0B43B17C-E024-456A-99FC-381DF3D165F4.jpeg
    0B43B17C-E024-456A-99FC-381DF3D165F4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 12EB21A0-8899-4B0B-970C-38A95D41E935.jpeg
    12EB21A0-8899-4B0B-970C-38A95D41E935.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 829978EE-F6CB-44C5-B1F8-A6F58A9785D8.jpg
    829978EE-F6CB-44C5-B1F8-A6F58A9785D8.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 70
I see! At what rpm does the VVT kick in, out of interest?

It's not comparable to Honda VTEC or Toyota's VVT-i, it doesn't really 'kick in' as its for emissions control rather than power gains, my basic knowledge is that it will hold the exhaust valves closed longer under certain conditions to help burn off any leftover fuel.

This is a long time ago...so I could be a bit wrong.

But back when I had mk1s seem there being no VVT at all and the 8v ones were none interference.

60 8v single cam and single point fuel injection.
75 8v same as 60s but bigger cam and multipoint fuel injection.
85 16v head, and MPI (interference engine).

Oddly the 55s was a different engine..(same engine as Cinq sporting),I had a 55s and an 85 Elx

Last edited:
Look Honda VVT up, it is variable valve timing in order to allow optimal valve opening at low revs for power, self adjusting through the rev range to provide optimal valve timing at high revs too, where the valves need to be open relatively longer in the cycles to let much more gas move about.
So it is done to offer optimum no lag power delivery (no turbo) across the range of revs. It works well, my sister had a classic Honda Civic VVTi, a light nimble and fun car back then, brilliant.
Optimal valve timing and power will always improve emissions and efficiency as a virtuous side effect, this design was before the focus on emissions as such.

This is a long time ago...so I could be a bit wrong.

But back when I had mk1s seem there being no VVT at all and the 8v ones were none interference.

60 8v single cam and single point fuel injection.
75 8v same as 60s but bigger cam and multipoint fuel injection.
85 16v head, and MPI (interference engine).

Oddly the 55s was a different engine..(same engine as Cinq sporting),I had a 55s and an 85 Elx

Yes there wasn't any VVT on any of the mk1 Punto engines, neither on the 8v engines in the mk2, the 16v engines may have had vvt in mk2's I'm not sure. The Grande is where the 8v engines saw the basic VVT come in making them (8v specifically) interference engines for the first time.

Sorry we're quite off topic now!

Last edited:
The starjet is what your thinking of. I won't go into massive detail as you can google it and we are way off topic.
But the starjet engine was available from about 2005 and has port deactivation, VVT and an EGR, all things the FIRE never had. It was the platform on which the t-jet engines were based. But not all Fires have it after 2005; my 2009 Panda 100hp has a 1.4 16v Fire without any of that stuff.
So Starjet engines are interference, other than that all 8v fires are non interference and all 16v engines are interference.

Out of interest, what was the 1.4 turbo that was used in the mk1 Punto GT?

Mk1 Punto effectively spanned 2 different engine generations 1108cc and 1242 were FIRE. The 1.4t was the 1372cc lampredi designed engine from the mk2 uno turbo.

It was old as the hills even in 94, there was also briefly a lampredi 1.6 none turbo in the Elx/Sporting but the fact it was replaced with a 1.2 16v and lost no speed that you'd notice is probably all you need to know.

Last edited:
Mk1 Punto effectively spanned 2 different engine generations 1108cc and 1242 were FIRE. The 1.4t was the 1372cc lampredi designed engine from the mk2 uno turbo.

It was old as the hills even in 94, there was also briefly a lampredi 1.6 none turbo in the Elx/Sporting but the fact it was replaced with a 1.2 16v and lost no speed that you'd notice is probably all you need to know.

Weighs about the same as a hill too, a big hill! lol

I had a Mk1 1581cc Punto Cabrio, it may have had an equal 0-60 as the 16v but the mid-range torque made it an easier drive than the 16v, especially when it came to the flabby Convertibles. It was about as sophisticated as a brick wall and was crap on petrol but I did ultimately prefer it to the 1.2 16v, unpopular opinion around here!

I had a Mk1 1581cc Punto Cabrio, it may have had an equal 0-60 as the 16v but the mid-range torque made it an easier drive than the 16v, especially when it came to the flabby Convertibles. It was about as sophisticated as a brick wall and was crap on petrol but I did ultimately prefer it to the 1.2 16v, unpopular opinion around here!

By the time I'd started shopping for my ELX all the 1.6s were either tatty, dead or cabrios so never actually drove one tbf.

1.2 16v in a 5 door shell was rare enough, sold 800 or so in total there's fewer than 50 now.

They were ferociously expensive though mine had the original bill of sale and the original owner was a dealers wife so it had every option. It was 13k in 98, otherwise known as 23k now!

This is probably why the 75 elx like Simons were more common!

i have no quarms with the old lampredi engines really, good strong engines, my only issue with them is they weigh same as a small planet, which you can really feel entering corners at any kind of speed in something so small and light as a mk1 punto.
That said, a 75 is only 23kg heavier than a 90 :shrug: although my experience of them is with the GT and with the turbo and associated gubbins they are 81kg heaver than a 75 and thats pretty significant on a car under a tonne.

Back