General Murphio's Meanderings

Currently reading:
General Murphio's Meanderings

Hmmm... I don't know whether brave is the right word!

Auxiliary tank seems like a good idea - We've seen a couple of 500s here with that set up on the luggage rack at the back - only it has been a 10lt wine barrel!

Hmmm... I don't know whether brave is the right word!

Well, the alternative is "stupid" and that wouldn't be fair. ;)
Today we went to Speyside., home of wild salmon and whisky distillerys. Interesting place names and a big flock of sheep. High in the hills at one of my destinations Murphio brought real joys of memory to a client who has some Italian ancestry and was overjoyed to sit in the car
I had been experiencing a niggle with the engine having a slight misfire under load such as when setting off up an incline. I had decided to swap the condenser and order a Swiftune one before Tom told me to
;) But that immediately showed that the distributor was loose where the M8 nut fixes it to the crankcase. Tightened it and the minor problem went away. :)

Attachments

• 1446755076855.jpg
    1446755076855.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1446755103724.jpg
    1446755103724.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1446755132809.jpg
    1446755132809.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 53
All those sheep, Speyside must be a big holiday destination for New Zealanders then?

This is an epic adventure, the scenery is wonderful. I really do enjoy the snippets that you post.

Regards

Joe R

Thanks Joe. It's just prompted by the relief and pleasure of finally having a reliable, working 500. I spent so many months posting on the Internet the usual images of the car with big chunks missing and engine in bits. So it's good to show what it was all about. :)

I have to admit to weakening as the cold and wet weather take over, but we went a few miles for a woodland walk today. We blew a fuse for the wipers which was one I had borrowed from the restoration car; it had corroded, like the car! I also introduced Murphio to the young upstart that Sheila has bought.

Attachments

• 1447957455027.jpg
    1447957455027.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1447957522883.jpg
    1447957522883.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 47
It's really nice chugging around so late in the year and feeling toasty warm in a little Fiat
:)
Here we are next to the 4th AA box in our collection and at a lovely fishing village with the very Scottish name, ??? "Sandend"
Murphio enjoyed his tank of super unleaded. It makes for a smoother engine and a slightly higher cruising speed.

Last edited:

Can you still get inside those AA boxes? Or I assume that horrible modern thing hiding behind it has superseded it? If that is the case it's a pity they didn't find away to combine the two and fit modern inside old. Maybe they are listed?

I think the boxes must have some sort of protection. Do you have them dahn sarf? I think you used to get a key for them when you joined the AA. I hadn't joined up my thinking and realised that the modern thing had replaced it.:rolleyes:
I'm out on another jolly today, towards Glen Affric where David Beckham did that TV whisky ad. We'll keep going until the start of regular salting of the roads.

Last edited:
I think the boxes must have some sort of protection. Do you have them dahn sarf? I think you used to get a key for them when you joined the AA. I hadn't joined up my thinking and realised that the modern thing had replaced it.:rolleyes:
I'm out on another jolly today, towards Glen Affric where David Beckham did that TV whisky ad. We'll keep going until the start of regular salting of the roads.

I was going to say no!!!! But then I thought there must be someone who has created a website for them and there is!!!!!!

It seems likely that most are in Scotland so you have clocked up quite a few of the remaining ones. There is one not far from me but it is in someone's back garden, so maybe difficult to get Luigi in the picture.:D

I must target the rest of these boxes when I get proper internet restored.
I let the car have a sleep last week after we had been for Sheila's Christmas present. But I left the interior light on so he wouldn't be scared :) after parking up in the garage. So it was a bit harder than usual to get started for the post office run today. But after a few slow turns, the engine fired up.
We have not had the big rain and I hope everything is OK for you Cumbrian owners.
Murphio still looking handsome in winter grime.:)

Attachments

• 1449505171897.jpg
    1449505171897.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
It's strange how regularly I "force" myself to exercise the car when I can't find time to exercise myself. So we did a nice little 15 mile round trip in this balmy weather to the little village of Cawdor where I took this photo .

Attachments

• 1450364682315.jpg
    1450364682315.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 42
Going for phone boxes now instead I see. I don't think I should have put Luigi in hibernation now, he must be sweating his socks off under the cover!!!!!

Back to haunt you all for 2016, and we had to start with a drive out to the woods on day one.
When I got back I thought I should also do a bit of maintenance. I had a second, brand new flasher unit as the first one wouldn't activate the panel light. This identical unit also "failed". It turned out I had a bulb of too high a wattage fitted. With the correct one borrowed from the scrap car, the green light is still a bit dim, but at least it works.
So 2016 starts with Murphio fully in focus.

Attachments

• 1451679668946.jpg
    1451679668946.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 33
It was a lovely morning here;we haven't had any of that nasty rain despite being only 50 miles, in a straight line, from Braemar.
The car takes a good few miles to achieve full power in cold weather, but I hit 60 mph a couple of times. I tried to prove it but failed.
Nice to be out and about in bright weather with the roof down.

Attachments

• 1452108186181.jpg
    1452108186181.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1452108308713.jpg
    1452108308713.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 37
Im surprised to see you out Peter.
The BBC weather forcast this morning showed heavy rain and snow over your area on the map. I had visions of you working on Bluebell in the snow.:ROFLMAO:
nutter.gif
biggrin.gif
Ahhhh

That's a beautiful photo. I guess you're away from the gritter's route. We live in an odd part of Scotland; the Lecht Ski Centre is only 40 miles away, flooded Braemar 70, and here it's been just a bit sub-zero. But this dirty, salty-road weather just stops me in my tracks.:(

Last edited:
Back