Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Recall Front Springs Breaking

Are they still doing this recall?

Wish I'd spotted this yesterday morning - then I wouldn't have fitted a new spring to it myself!

When my springs broke a few years ago I contacted Fiat. They said the springs had already been replaced although I could find nothing in the service history. Anyhow Fiat initially weren't interested and then finally said they would do it if I got the car to Fiat. As it was un-drivable and the cost of having it towed was more than a new set of springs off eBay I just did the job myself just using the 3 x normal DIY compressors that someone above said could not be used ???

Anyhow a few months later I wrote to the original whose address I had on the V5 as I am the second owner. She said that to her knowledge the car had never been done. Fiat service or what ????

Eleganza '06 JTD - nearside spring just gone and no bulletins I can see - seems like it's still and issue. Chassis 02285241. 26k on the clock.

Any one got the specs for the Multipla van springs? Guessing that these would be 1 or 2mm wider diameter and probably less progressive, worth considering as the originals are obviously pants?

Eleganza '06 JTD - nearside spring just gone and no bulletins I can see - seems like it's still and issue. Chassis 02285241. 26k on the clock.
we have got a 2009 multipla with 24000 on the clock, and both springs have gone!! we got in touch with fiat uk about this and they have said that they havent heard of any problems with the newer models at all. i intend to photograph the springs and send them to fiat as when the spring broke it popped out and stuck into the inner wall of the drivers side tyre which caused the car to pull to the right, luckily this was at low speed and not on motorway. i really think fiat uk should look into this before somebody gets killed!!

Unfortunately, it's not just Fiat - google broken front springs and you'll find it's just about every manufacturer.
Fiat did put their hand up for the original problem which was sub-standard materials, however speed cushions and road calming measures in general plus the pothole lotteries that pass for roads are the problem

Hi I have recently bought a 2004 Multipla and my chassis number falls within those shown on the VOSA web site. But mine is a LHD French vehicle.

I have contacted Fiat in the UK and their response was that my Multipla was never the subject of a recall and there was not one outstanding.

I'm wondering if the recall was only for UK vehicles. But I'm tending to think that I will get the springs replaced anyway.

Any ideas as to cost of labour etc.
Thanks

I've recently become a Multipla owner,love it by the way,and my chassis number falls in to this recall.Is it a question of just getting in touch with my local Fiat dealer,will they records of if the car has already been recalled?

I had that thing today, you know the one, where you see something lying on the ground, and you know you know what it is, but for a few moments you just can't place it...
Spring%20seg_zpse47551aa.jpg

B**ger!

Front Springs Breaking

Seems I may have been prematurely pessimistic.
Had a look at the springs when my Wife got home with the Multi, they're all fine by the look of it, checked the rears too, all there.
Must have come off a passing car, just a coincidence I found it right where the Multi was parked...

As far as I can see from a quick visual check they are.
I'll have another look later, as I have to do something about the knackered rubbers at the tops of both struts.

Well my 2 front springs failed together at 5mph while transiting a cattle type grid in a car park.

My Multi had the recall in December 2007 just before it was registered in Jan 2008.

So my Multi has had 4 Front Springs changed in 5 years and 30,000 miles.

New ones fitted at the main dealer are thicker than what has come out.

Oh it was not free of charge either, I enquired about that argument and got told, its was free on the 1st recall.

Twang!!!!!

front os spring found snapped half way up, and lodged into the inner wing area!

anyone got any bright idea on a better replacement?

cheers

shrew

Hi, I'm the new owner of a 02 reg 115 JTD. Having seen this thread on broken springs I'm wondering if the thumping sound I'm hearing from the car is sping related. it seems to be coming from the drivers side and usually when going over bumps and pot holes. It doesn't seem to happen as much at higher speeds.
The car was put on ramps and it all seemed to look ok. There wasn't any knocking when the car was bounced and the exhaust pipe is secure.

If the spring has gone, are there any visual clues? Could it be something else?

Back