Technical Multipla 1.9 JTD Front wishbone replacement: full procedure

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla 1.9 JTD Front wishbone replacement: full procedure

Step 18: Reattach the drop link balljoint to the strut:

Jack up the wheel hub again so that the strut drop link bracket hole is level with the drop link top balljoint bolt.
Reattach the drop link balljoint to the strut, and fully tighten the balljoint nut. If you've only taken off the balljoint nut (and not the whole droplink), I would suggest installing a new nut.

Lower and remove the jack from under the wheel hub.

Last edited:
Step 19: Install the road wheel. Lower car to ground. Torque up the wheel nuts.

Job done!

=== END OF PROCEDURE ===

After all that it may be an idea to get the tracking done, which I intend to do once I've got some new tyres.

Last edited:
I havent read all the thread... just scanned over it. One thing from a safety point of view, I really wouldnt recommend jacking up the disc like that, its liable to roll off and could crush your hand etc.
If you need to jack it try form something that will cup it so that it cant roll..

Excellent series of posts. Completed drivers side on good Friday and have read this after the job... Typical. I found I did mine a little back to front - installing the two short bolts, then installing the pin into the hub, then finding there was no way on earth I was going to get the longer bolts in no matter what angle I achieved by jacking up the hub or what prying was done to the bar. Ended up leaving the pinch bolt in and undoing the two short bolts. Fitted the aluminium mount long bolt first, then steel long bolt, then both shorter bolts. Also managed to work with the ARB mounted but did take a bit of crow bar action to get the aluminium mount under the ARB. Anyway thanks for sharing!

Good write-up Mark. Would be worth asking the forum mods ( Davren ) to move it (or at least a copy of it) to the Multipla Guides section.

As for the job itself, it may sound daft and like it will add loads of work, but in the past I've dropped the whole strut from its 3 top mounting bolts. This frees things up a lot when you're trying to align the ball joint pin, as you can bring the strut to the ball joint. Once the ball joint is located and bolted up, having the bottom of the strut tied to the wishbone actually helps get it back into place in the suspension turret.

Last edited:
Good write-up Mark. Would be worth asking the forum mods ( Davren ) to move it (or at least a copy of it) to the Multipla Guides section.

Mods can only move posts or threads from sections they moderate. Unfortunately, we don't have a Multipla mod. ( Any volunteers can apply here: https://www.fiatforum.com/staff-applications/ ) ;)

Alternatively, if MarkX wants to, he could start a new guide in the Multipla Guides section here: https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla-guides/ then copy and paste each post above to it in the correct order.

Would need to check that the images copy and paste with it and land in the correct places. Sometimes images don't copy and paste well.

Also, we don't like external links anywhere on the forum. We definitely don't want them in the guides sections.

Mods can only move posts or threads from sections they moderate. Unfortunately, we don't have a Multipla mod. ( Any volunteers can apply here: https://www.fiatforum.com/staff-applications/ ) ;)

Alternatively, if MarkX wants to, he could start a new guide in the Multipla Guides section here: https://www.fiatforum.com/multipla-guides/ then copy and paste each post above to it in the correct order.

Would need to check that the images copy and paste with it and land in the correct places. Sometimes images don't copy and paste well.

Also, we don't like external links anywhere on the forum. We definitely don't want them in the guides sections.

Thanks chaps. I am a bit busy getting the car ready for it's MOT at the mo', but could certainly repost in the guides section later. I have all the original images so can re-upload them. As for the doc referenced by external link, I can upload a scanned copy of the doc.

Last edited:
Excellent series of posts. Completed drivers side on good Friday and have read this after the job... Typical. I found I did mine a little back to front - installing the two short bolts, then installing the pin into the hub, then finding there was no way on earth I was going to get the longer bolts in no matter what angle I achieved by jacking up the hub or what prying was done to the bar. Ended up leaving the pinch bolt in and undoing the two short bolts. Fitted the aluminium mount long bolt first, then steel long bolt, then both shorter bolts. Also managed to work with the ARB mounted but did take a bit of crow bar action to get the aluminium mount under the ARB. Anyway thanks for sharing!

Thanks shedenvy.

I don't know exactly what you did but... it is possible, following what I did - jacking up the hub sufficiently high until the wishbone is horizontal - to take *ALL* the load off the wishbone brackets/bushes. The only force then acting on the brackets/bushes is the weight of the wishbone arm which you can easily counterbalance with a couple of fingers pushing down on a bracket.

Normally what makes installing the wishbone bolts so difficult - is that *without* jacking up the hub, the wishbone on installation is at maximum deflection relative to the subframe (about 30 degrees below horizontal) so the brackets/bushes are under maximum load, which you have to counteract before you can install the bolts. Very difficult, or I can say from experience nearly impossible - if you are working on your own.

Maybe you didn't jack up the hub high enough, which would be difficult to do if the ARB drop link was still attached to the strut.

Last edited:
Back