General Multi-Purpose Copper Anti–Seize Grease ?

Currently reading:
General Multi-Purpose Copper Anti–Seize Grease ?

BravoCity

Hi Guys,

Currently Ive had a Squeaking Brake Issue, Which only happens when driving at low speeds or turning the steering wheel slightly left or sometimes when driving even straight. " Only when I apply brakes the sound stops "

So I went to my local Garage and they told me that its Dust, Had it cleaned same problem still makes a squeaking sound, Ive noticed it only happens on longer journeys so Im guessing the brakes might be getting to hot.

The pads itself are fine, I don't think there is any issues there.

So I searched online and came across some Multi-Purpose Copper Anti–Seize Grease .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Pur...ease-Tin-/370583674392?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Does anyone know how I would apply this to the brakes? and where I should Apply it?

If it works and stops the Squeal sound it will save it £230 "Local Garage said that it can be a seized calipers"

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
garage should have already applied brake grease when putting them back after cleaning.
go to a different garage if callipers were seized they should have noticed during cleaning and would do nothing when applying brakes, you say " Only when I apply brakes the sound stops " that would suggest that callipers are moving.

sounds like instead of stripping and cleaning brakes with brake cleaner and reassembling with brake grease ( 1-2 hour job) they have just tried the old fashion way of just trying to blow it out with an air line (2 minute job).

Last edited:
As Dave says, try a different garage. If you don't already know where and how to apply the copper grease, it is best you don't do it. A squeak is preferable to not being able to stop.
The noise is caused by the pad touching the disc lightly. Dust build-up can prevent the pad retracting fully, so can be a cause. Copper grease on the backs of the pads just dampen the sound, so changing the natural frequency of the pad.
If the pad is touching the disc, the pistons in the caliper may not be retracting properly, hence the "Seized" possibility. Often pushing them back in then pumping them out again will fix it.
Often aftermarket pads are slightly too large for the caliper, so are tight to fit and don't retract. A file across their edge fixes this. The first garage should have checked all of this.
Pad friction material is a compound of materials and often includes metal particles. Sometimes one of these can cause noises. The cure is to scuff the pad face with coarse abrasive paper, or if identifiable, hook the culprit out, carefully so as not to crack the material. Cheaper pads are often the cause of lots of noises.

A few simple checks before condemning the calipers.

Back