Technical Multi 1.9 JTD no power and smokey

Currently reading:
Technical Multi 1.9 JTD no power and smokey

stevesteve

Hi,

I have been reading similar threads as my symptoms are:
  • Low power, reaches 20 mph uphill and slowly climbs to 30mph.
  • Changing down a gear makes no difference to the pulling power at these speeds.
  • Cloud of smoke when starting.
  • Some smoke under power but not much.

Having read about the EGR valve I decided to have a look at that. I did not clean it yet but did make a blanking plate to see if it helped.

You can just see the plate on the valve-end of the corrugated metal hose.
f7df927d.jpg

However nor difference in power (although no smoke on starting this time).

Last edited:
Sorry about that... Typing on a phone and it wouldn't scroll any further.

Someone on another post talked about the intercooler pipes but I don't know where to look.

Is there a diagram or photos anywhere?

Also, other than the intercooler hoses, what else should I be looking at?

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Johnty,

Are there any photo's on the forum of the maf sensor?

Cheers,
Steve

Shouldn't need photo's, bolted to the air filter box top left is a housing which is the start of air supply to the turbo, on this housing is the MAF. Disconnect the plug, release is underneath and needs strong fingers (helps if you push the plug in while you're doing it).

If the car performs better with the MAF disconnected, then replace the MAF - If there's no difference check for air leaks on all the intake air hoses.
Also check that the intercooler is free from obstructions.

Thanks Momoe,

I see what you mean. It's a chunky little beggar right at the top of the engine.

OK, unplugged it, EGR still blanked off, and the main effect was that the engine produced loads more dark smoke.

So I will check the hoses too.

I am not certain where the intercooler is... I last worked on engines when computers didn't drive them. It was all down to linkages and mechanical systems I could work out.

Is there a decent exploded diagram or general workshop diagram which shows some details?

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Intercooler is behind the bumper, bottom N/S. If you put the car on axle stands you'll be able to woirk it out.
Basically, the duct from the airfilter, goes to the turbo intake, higher temperature, pressurised air is then pushed from turbo, through the intercooler (to cool it down and increase the density) and then up to the intake manifold.
If you've got a leak in any of these, the ECU will usually be putting more fuel in than optimum, although the MAP sensor is on the inlet manifold and should sense that the air pressure is not what it shoul be.
The intercooler needs the bumper removed to get it out, irritating and time consuming but not a huge job and no special tools required. However, you can check the hoses without removing the intercooler.
Another item to check is the small vacuum tube that leads from the turbo to the pressure sensor down to the left of the battery, this is normally red and about the diameter of a pencil - again no leaks or turbo operation is compromised.

Back