Technical Muffler question

Currently reading:
Technical Muffler question

shenkerman

Hi,

This is my first post - hoping to meet some fellow 500 enthusiasts in the process.

Ill start with a tech question with a challenge Im facing replacing the stock muffler on my 1968 500L.

Is there a quality stock muffler available that you just bolt on and go?

Ill preface theat question with my experience last week - I ordered a unit from C. Obert in Santa Cruz, California. It came with installation instructions to bolt on the unit and then heat "red-hot" with an acetylene torch. When cool, fully tighten the bolts.

C. Obert explained that previous to these instructions, the units were being returned for cracks and breaks and would no longer be guarenteed unless this installation step is done.

I sent the unit back because I thought this heating step was excessive (educate me if its not) as well as the fact that the flanges to the manifold would not lie flush during the dry fit. I should add the guys at C. Obert are great to deal with and had no problems taking the unit back.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Dean

Ill preface theat question with my experience last week - I ordered a unit from C. Obert in Santa Cruz, California. It came with installation instructions to bolt on the unit and then heat "red-hot" with an acetylene torch. When cool, fully tighten the bolts.

C. Obert explained that previous to these instructions, the units were being returned for cracks and breaks and would no longer be guarenteed unless this installation step is done.

Dean

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum!

I must confess I never heard of anything like this.

I recently bought a new 'sport' exhaust (muffler) for our car, and it literally just bolted on.

I sourced it in the UK of course, but don't see that this should make any difference.

However, you say the flanges didn't lie flat when you tried to fit it?

In this case I guess it would make sense to heat the pipes to red heat to anneal them, then I guess they would bend to the correct profile when you tighten the studs.

I would also guess if you didn't do this you would run the risk of snapping off the studs.

Chet on UK Ebay sells a selection of mufflers, but guess you would have fairly hefty shipping costs.

This is the standard one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-500-126-...14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

This is one of the sport types:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-500-126-...14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

or if you are feeling extremely flush: :eek:

Good luck and let us know how you get on! (y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I wonder if its to do with which engine. We did have to heat up the exhaust on the stock 595cc engine - maybe the 650 type are a better fit overall? They are different between the stock 500 motor and the 126.:confused:

Back