General MSR system rocks! (part of ASR system)

Currently reading:
General MSR system rocks! (part of ASR system)

Argonought

It's about GO! not SHOW!
For the 1st time my JTD activated MSR this morning going down an icy road in the snow. This is when you use engine braking going down a hill. If the front wheels lose grip then MSR increases engine speed to maintain traction (otherwise you can end sliding into the kerb like one car did this morning).

One really hairy problem of descending icy roads, with a FWD car, is you must be prepared to drive down if you start sliding - since it's better to have some control rather than be sliding sideways or in a ditch/wall etc.

Unless you can't see an escape route in which case it's crunch time :bang:

During this snowy period, ff anyone is running their tyres on higher than normal pressure then make sure you reduce the pressure to what's recommended in the handbook.

Could be the difference between keeping your motor in one piece or not!

I have to say my stilo is the worst FWD car I have ever driven on snow. It was the only FWD car that could not get up the little hill to get out of my street. I was stuck with two BMW owners gritting the entire street by hand before we could get out. Everyone else just drove out with no problems.

Last time it snowed, I had the same problem and put it down to low tyre tread on the front. I have since had 2 new tyres and it made absolutely no difference. I dont know if anyone else has found the same.

Argo: Why don't you just press the brake and let the ABS control your descent. Far safer and more controlled than going fast. Does MSR work in reverse? Maybe I could have tried it when I was sliding backwards down my street this morning.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by that, although I've never driven on snow before so can't really comment. (y)

I'd have thought that the asr, abs and the msr would have helped though... obviously not :(

I'm surprised by that, although I've never driven on snow before so can't really comment. (y)

I'd have thought that the asr, abs and the msr would have helped though... obviously not :(

No, see my little story with my Bravo this morning:
https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/179196-hows-eveyone-do-snow.html

John, The bravo and the stilo is different cars I know, I previously owned a JTD stilo, But I think they shared the same problem, heavy front end, front wheel drive and too much torque through the front wheels, I try to get up to some small hills this morning, I couldn't do it with ASR on, and little clio and crosa just get up there without even trying, another guy in his Astra 1.9 diesal was the same, just could not get up the the hill, well, I make it at the end without ASR.

No, see my little story with my Bravo this morning:
https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/179196-hows-eveyone-do-snow.html

John, The bravo and the stilo is different cars I know, I previously owned a JTD stilo, But I think they shared the same problem, heavy front end, front wheel drive and too much torque through the front wheels, I try to get up to some small hills this morning, I couldn't do it with ASR on, and little clio and crosa just get up there without even trying, another guy in his Astra 1.9 diesal was the same, just could not get up the the hill, well, I make it at the end without ASR.

I think it is more to do with Fiat front suspension geometry. It gives good cornering, but crap for grip on snow. BMW's also tend to have a big camber to improve cornering, but they are also terrible in snow.

Cool! Did the car flash up a warning then?
Yep; you get the standard ASR flashing symbol to show the system is active (y)

Argo: Why don't you just press the brake and let the ABS control your descent. Far safer and more controlled than going fast. Does MSR work in reverse? Maybe I could have tried it when I was sliding backwards down my street this morning.
I don't trust ABS that much (not on ice anyway) and I believe it ceases to activate on low speeds (5-7mph) which is still fast enough to give you a nasty dent.

No direct experience but I believe MSR works in reverse (obviously you must be in reverse gear :))

Driving up a hill can be a funny and scary business in a FWD car. Unlike RWD, a good FWD car using the zig-zag technique can climb a hill it can't actually stop on (with all wheels locked - it just slides to the bottom - gaining speed as it goes :eek:). Providing nothing's behind you, the best thing to do is reverse down the hill faster than you're sliding and try to get traction - not funny!

On the subject of ASR, I notice the manual recommends you turn it off in snow. Not sure I understand why exactly but it seems to match with people's experience on the Forum.

Yep; you get the standard ASR flashing symbol to show the system is active (y)

On the subject of ASR, I notice the manual recommends you turn it off in snow. Not sure I understand why exactly but it seems to match with people's experience on the Forum.

Thats interesting, that explain why they are useless in the snow as you dont suppose to leave them on!!!

Might try turning ASR off later, mine was useless on snow this morning (n)

The Bravo handbook wrote: "When travelling on snowy roads with snow chains, it may be helpful to turn the ASR off: In fact, in these conditions, slipping of the driving wheels when moving off makes it possible to obtain better drive."
I believe the stilo and bravo share the same system, well, you can decide whatever leave them on or off.

The Bravo handbook wrote: "When travelling on snowy roads with snow chains, it may be helpful to turn the ASR off: In fact, in these conditions, slipping of the driving wheels when moving off makes it possible to obtain better drive."
I believe the stilo and bravo share the same system, well, you can decide whatever leave them on or off.

With Snow Chains, being the key point. Without chains, it should be left on.

I noticed that too....

but a lot of posters suggest otherwize :chin:

I wonder if it's because ASR activates just too aggressively, so that you actually end up losing grip on both wheels as soon as one wheel spins.

Not enough of the stuff to experiment with down here in Dorset at the moment :mad:

Yes, I noticed the snow chains bit too, but it went on: "In fact, in these conditions, slipping of the driving wheels when moving off makes it possible to obtain better drive."
to me, they suggested you get better drive without the ASR on regardness with snow chains or not.

I noticed that too....

but a lot of posters suggest otherwize :chin:

I wonder if it's because ASR activates just too aggressively, so that you actually end up losing grip on both wheels as soon as one wheel spins.

Not enough of the stuff to experiment with down here in Dorset at the moment :mad:

I will say my bravo get much better grip without the ASR, driving in Liphook this morning, snow were at least 10inches deep, in some area it was even up to my bumper, it is only my own experiance, you better try for urself and you can decide whatever leave it on or off.

When pulling away in snow you should be in the
highest gear possible to pull away, that should help
stop the wheels spinning in the first place.
The wider the tyres the more the problem
is exhasperated narrow tyres are better in snow.

ABS can be quite nasty in snow as it stops the
wheels locking. Very often it's the snow that's built up
infront of a locked wheel which slows the car to a
stop. Earlier cars with ABS didn't switch off below
5mph.

John

Well i can concur that stilo Mw's are rubbish in the snow, took me 15 mins to get out of my road this morning and with that in mind i brought the tractor home tonight. No snow will stop me now. I havent got msr/asr so cant say if it would have made any difference.

Well i can concur that stilo Mw's are rubbish in the snow, took me 15 mins to get out of my road this morning and with that in mind i brought the tractor home tonight. No snow will stop me now. I havent got msr/asr so cant say if it would have made any difference.

I agree.Mine is a MW and they are terrible in the snow.

Anyone get caught in those hail/snow showers today?

Turns clean tarmac into a skating rink in just a couple of minutes :eek:

I left someone in a mini (BMW) stuck at the bottom of a hill, zig-zaged up, and thought the ASR system worked fairly well. (y)

I left someone in a mini (BMW) stuck at the bottom of a hill, zig-zaged up, and thought the ASR system worked fairly well. (y)

did the same lots today. i think the stilo is awsome in the snow, and proved this against a lot of cars. one of the very few to make it up our hill.

maybe my wider under inflated 18" tyres were helping.

Back