Motorways DO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE 3 LANES???

Currently reading:
Motorways DO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE 3 LANES???

WHAT DO THE LANES ON A MOTORWAY MEAN

• Always stick to the left, right lanes for over taking.

Votes: 112 90.3%
  • They work on speed, Lane makes no difference, you can be in what ever lane you want

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Are there rules to the motorway and I do not know them!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Right Hand side is the only place my car fits

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters
Hi

Sorry for this but I know you will all join me. I was on the M4 over the weekend and if it was'nt for people not having a clue how to use the road then traffic jams would never exist.

So the question is (Heeeheee)

Who know how to use the motorway?

What are the 3 lanes for??

always winds me up people who stick in the middle lane of a empty motorway etc :mad: i usually go from slow > middle > fast lanes then back across once past them :) they usually take the hint and move to the slow lane post haste :)

Simple.. Left lane is for overtaking people in the middle lane when the outside lane is full. Right hand lane is for overtaking people in the middle when the left lane is full.

When there arn't any obstructions you must stick to whichever side is shortest (left lane on left handers, right lane on right handers) and straight line across all 3 lanes between corners (y)

We got a rally driver!

Was doing this last night at 3am, fun when no ones around.

Well Mr Officer I was not really, just trying to impress the forum friends.

Last edited:
Simple.. Left lane is for overtaking people in the middle lane when the outside lane is full. Right hand lane is for overtaking people in the middle when the left lane is full.

When there arn't any obstructions you must stick to whichever side is shortest (left lane on left handers, right lane on right handers) and straight line across all 3 lanes between corners (y)

:yeahthat: I always go up the left lane when the middle/ right lanes are full, as you are legally entitled to do when the flow of traffic is obstructed ;)

I tend not to undertake as if someone is stupid enough to sit in the middle lane with no traffic in front or by their side they they are probably stupid enough to change to the inside lane without looking.

When coming up the M1 and M6 from London last weekend there was a ridiculous amount of middle lane dwellers. I didn't stay for any fun as I wanted to get home quickly, but did as mentioned above, moving from the inside lane to the outside then back to the inside in one big arc.

I've heard of people overtaking, moving to the inside then lifting off, then overtaking again repeatedly and it sounds like a right laugh but also a bit of a waste of time. :)

Motorway discipline doesn't really count on the M25 :D

I thought the RHD lane was only for BMW's :rolleyes:

Left: Trucks & micras

Middle: Trucks & everyone else

Right: German lane = BMW, Mercedes and Audi's only

Lol! And so true! :D

You forgot the main users of the middle lane. The MIDDLE LANE OWNERS CLUB (MLOC)! Can be any vehicle, but Nissan Primeras and 4x4's seem to be some of the main members. They drive me round the bend sitting there oblivious to everyone else :bang:

Even worse are some drivers who hog the OUTSIDE lane. Many a time I've come home late at night and there is some dork sitting in the outside lane of an empty motorway. :tosser: I WILL undertake on the inside in such circumstances as it is safer than doing four lane changes and also assuming the @sshole will actually bother to move over once I'm behind him. I just stick to the inside lane and carry on going, and if PC Plod ever pulls me for that I'll ask why he doesn't pull the outside lane hog who is effectively obstructing the flow of traffic. :mad:

The Highway Code couldn't be simpler. Keep left UNLESS OVERTAKING. Once overtaking has taken place, pull back into the inner lane. Just how easy is that to remember... :rolleyes:

Even worse are some drivers who hog the OUTSIDE lane. Many a time I've come home late at night and there is some dork sitting in the outside lane of an empty motorway. :tosser: I WILL undertake on the inside in such circumstances as it is safer than doing four lane changes and also assuming the @sshole will actually bother to move over once I'm behind him. I just stick to the inside lane and carry on going, and if PC Plod ever pulls me for that I'll ask why he doesn't pull the outside lane hog who is effectively obstructing the flow of traffic. :mad:

they are members of B.O.L.O.C :p

the Barstard Outside Lane Owners Club :D Theyre allowed :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Virmin

Na the right hand lane is for Blue stilos to! :D

It is also worth trying to avoid getting into a situation where all 3 lines are full. If someone sneezes then there is bound to be crash as you have nowhere to go. If I pass 2 lorries occupying lane 1 and 2 with a 1/2 MPH speed difference I always flick the throttle and spend very little time out in lane 3.The other approcah is to let off the throttle and let the B-emm behind shove u along using his fuel

hmmm, lane disaplin.

personally i sit in the outside lane, then inside, then middle, then outside, then middle, then hard shoulder, then inside, then outside, then middle, then hard shoulder, then middle, then inside, then outside.

basicly weave in and out to get to ur destination quicker. as u always get some muppets driving along at a pathertic 85 - 90mph when they should really get their tow down.

Dunc

p.s. i would like to say i am actually joking and never drive like this really. thankyou :)

and the yellow cinqs flashing them out of the way :D

Even N/A ones ;)

EDIT: Flashing car's out of the way isn't wise, a family friend who is german drove over to see us, and drove our motorways like the autobahn, so kept flashing people to move, he got reported by many pissed off driver's and had his licence took off him for something lame like 28days lol! He calls the outside lane the Kraicheck (sp) lane and his right foot flat Kraicheck speed, crazy germans (y)

Last edited:
3 lane motorways are simple to use but 2 lane ones are worse. eg. the m4 in south wales. people just stay in the outside lane despite doing 60/65ish.back on 3 lane motorways the worse bit though is when you overtake someone so you're in the middle lane and you could pull straight back in but then you'd immediately have to pull out again to overtake the next car/lorry. my solution to this is just to put my foot down a lil' bit more so i'm not in that position for long. although this depends upon traffic too though.

the dual carriageways in weston i just give up with. it's a 50 limit but no one uses them properly so you just have to undertake if neccessary. but weaving between traffic is strictly no!

Back