Technical Motor bike cans

Currently reading:
Technical Motor bike cans

Oldschool said:
2-stroke reciprocating engines are a completely different matter altogether. The principles that apply to them are much more complex than 4-stroke reciprocating piston engines.
The 4-stroke engines on motorbikes to start are much more fragile units with far more technical inconveniences. I have not denied that you can tune backboxes. The technical solution is not to take something and try to make it with the other end (engine). It will lead to too many coimpromises that throw the original idea of tuning out of the window. This approach can in the best case only second best.
The best solution here is to start from scratch rather than technically bodging it together. You mentioned that your uncle said that the boxes are tuned to a length. How on earth can you expect to have the right length for the engine that it is intended in this particular thread as the cam timing and peak power popint of a motorbike engine is rather different to say the least.
The fact remains that you can work only from front to back.

I've never said to use it on a car, it would be a waste of money to do so. Tuned lenght exhausts on a car are something short of impossible since it has may things to clear. Basically the best method is to get a custom exhaust or simply buy one ready made and save the headaches, i had lots while tuning mine since it produced a very annoying resonance around 2000rpm that caused the whole car to vibrate in resonance with it, can you imagine that:eek: . Eventually added a different presilencer and it solved it;)

mjthompson said:
hi, is this the kind of thing you were considering. i saw this on ebay ages ago and saved the pics for some reason.

matt

that looks like a universal backbox to me, but i like the look :)

been planning to get this done a few times, just the fact that i'd have to get the original hole filled and sprayed etc has put me off (n)

cinqysxmk2 said:
Be careful tho, the Plod really don't like exposed backboxes (they get hot and children could touch them)
i wouldn' want em touchin my car neway

Back