Panda MOT woes drove me here hoping for wiring diag / help

Currently reading:
Panda MOT woes drove me here hoping for wiring diag / help

KeithUK

Just had my trusty 2010 1242cc Hatchback failed because of the rear fog warning lamp not working on the dash. I sourced another unit from a breakers but the problem is still there. I assume it is a wiring problem Any help would be appreciated. Are there full wiring diags on the site?

Sorry, I originally entered the wrong date. It is a 2010 model

Last edited:
Sorry led you up the garden path here as this is for a 500 did not realise you had a panda!!!
Hi hopefully i can give you some guidance here as mine failed for the same reason! bare with me as its a long story!

Was not the bulb so checked the voltage to the bulb holder! should be 12 volts was getting 2.7 volts -not enough of course- so i figured there might be a short or a trapped wire somewhere!.

On my car the live feed wire is brown & gray and the earth wire black as normal!

So from the rear light cluster pulled back the side carpe!/panel as far as the rear seat to check the wiring there- no problems so i checked further!- the wires run along side of sill under the carpet as far as the front of the drivers seat NO ISSUES, wires then travel across the car to the passenger side sill to check you have to remove the passenger sill cover- I did- NO ISSUES!,- so traced all the way forwards under the parcel shelf/glove box to the B .C M module/internal fuse-box ( this is under a metal plate held by captive bolts you have to strip out the parcel shelf and part of the facia to get to it!) all the wiring was sound! checked the electrical connectors to the B.CM no issues there, so basically all wiring from B.CM. to the fog light was ok but still only getting 2.7 volts from the B.C .M output pin to the fog light!.

Had to look for other options, so bought a replacement used set of Facia switches from e- bay( steering /hazards/ fog lights) and fitted them( facia has to come off!) did not cure the problem!.

This only left the behind the dash wiring or the B.C.M as at fault! figured the dash wiring was to difficult to trace back so sent the B.C .M away to be checked and repaired this done re-fitted it and NO BLOODY DIFFERENT! still not working! .

So only options left was to pay an auto electrician a fortune to try to check the behind dash wiring( with no certainty it would cure the problem) so decided to take a more left field approach! this is what i did!.

I bought a aftermarket switch and some wiring online and fitted the switch in place of the original switch( quite involved as the original switch is part of a printed board which has to be cut away and the replacement fitted in past the electrics for the other two switches( steering and hazards) the wiring from the new switch has to be spliced into the original loom which i did in the wiring under the passenger sill for tidyness- i cut the original wire and attached the replacement wire to this! a second wire from the switch has to go to earth! all tucked away behind the facia and glove box! it worked! fog light now works only downside is non-original look to facia switches/panel but i have learnt to live with it.

It is do able if you are a half decent home mechanic and have a reasonable grasp of vehicle electrics (hardest part for me was fitting the replacement switch into the body of the original one lots of cutting filing and plastic welding!) if not then best to get someone else to do it for you! . hope this helps!
There is a paperback Haynes manual available for these cars!

Last edited:
Have you checked the fuse

Screenshot_20240326-183839.png

I never thought there would be a fuse for the instrument panel. Would this explain why the multifunction display isn't lit too?
I will check the fuse tomorrow. (Where do I collect my dunces hat from?)

Does the fog light actually come on

The body computer monitor the current

Unless it detects the correct amps it will not put the dash light to

It's not unusual for the wrong bulb to be fitted

Some LED that are supposed to be canbus haven't worked

We have also seen the wrong wattage cause problems

multifunction display not working is that both dashes

You beat me to it... check the bulb type. Should be a standard (clear) P21W. I have seen P21/5 bulbs crammed into the socket before now. (Must have taken some force to get it in, certainly took some to get out).

If LED, probably best to recycle it and replace with a standard P21W.

I have had to "downgrade" bulbs for a couple of people who had gone the LED route, as they triggered bulb failure warnings, or had unexpected effects on the dash.

The only LED upgrade I've never had a problem with on a Panda was the reversing light.

Fuse is good, I have removed the centre console buttons. There are only pins 1,2,3,4,5,13 and 14. Considering tapping into the appropriate wires going to the switch and putting another light on the dash. Has anyone done this (or similar) before?

Attachments

• 20240328_122632[1].jpg
    20240328_122632[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240328_122550[1].jpg
    20240328_122550[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Fuse is good, I have removed the centre console buttons. There are only pins 1,2,3,4,5,13 and 14. Considering tapping into the appropriate wires going to the switch and putting another light on the dash. Has anyone done this (or similar) before?
No sure what's going on here

These are signal wires going to the body computer to turn on the fog light

Adding a bulb I have never tried I suspect it will not work,

You could add 12V fake alarm LEDs to the pin on the body computer that goes to the fog light and earth the other end

You could buy a Haynes manual, they give the wiring diagrams in the back of the book. You could ask to see if someone will take a picture of their Haynes manual. Odds on a poor wire connection.

The fog light works

It's the canbus driven dash light that's not working

The body computer senses the current before putting the light on

The most likely a wrong wattage bulb

We haven't had any response yet

Without feedback we will get nowhere, and continuelly go round in circles know it's Easter

But taking the switch out and checking voltages come latter and look at circuit diagrams and so on comes latter

The fog light works

Without feedback we will get nowhere, and continuelly go round in circles know it's Easter

But taking the switch out and checking voltages come latter and look at circuit diagrams and so on comes latter
booked me appointment at specsavers now!:rolleyes:😔

You beat me to it... check the bulb type. Should be a standard (clear) P21W. I have seen P21/5 bulbs crammed into the socket before now. (Must have taken some force to get it in, certainly took some to get out).

If LED, probably best to recycle it and replace with a standard P21W.

I have had to "downgrade" bulbs for a couple of people who had gone the LED route, as they triggered bulb failure warnings, or had unexpected effects on the dash.

The only LED upgrade I've never had a problem with on a Panda was the reversing light.

The fog light works

I have checked the bulb, it hasn't been changed and is working fine. I have ordered a workshop manual CD which should arrive later this week. I am sorry this is dragging out. Is it OK to say Easter has got in the way?

Back