Technical MOT Failed on a couple of minor things

Currently reading:
Technical MOT Failed on a couple of minor things

mchairmaster

Got my MOT test done today and this 13 year old beast some how only failed on 2 minor things, looking for some help in possibly doing the repairs myself or if not whats a good price for them.

Firstly, "Nearside rear cable. Additional braking device insecure". The guy said it wasnt connected to the brake or something so would this be an easy fix?

Secondly, "Nearside front. Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated" - I'm guessing this one might be too difficult to do at home...

cheers for any help

Got my MOT test done today and this 13 year old beast some how only failed on 2 minor things, looking for some help in possibly doing the repairs myself or if not whats a good price for them.

Firstly, "Nearside rear cable. Additional braking device insecure". The guy said it wasnt connected to the brake or something so would this be an easy fix?

Secondly, "Nearside front. Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated" - I'm guessing this one might be too difficult to do at home...

cheers for any help

Erm - i dont get what the first one is unless he means the handbrake cable isn't sat in its mounts correctly :)
If so - its a simple fix - just pop the wheel off and resecure it

The N/S/F ball joint cover is the one on the wishbone where the swivel hub sits on it

DIY @ Home - Yes
Took me 3hours to get them stripped down enough to access them and to spend facking ages getting them to sit correct before refitting, that was for both sides :)
No need to undo suspension, just undo the pinch bolt - spread with a chiesel and hammer - pop em off - and replace the cover
Watchout the wire clips are PITA!

It'll cost you £10 MAX for 2x covers and a lil bit of grease :)

However if 1 is bad - the other is sure to follow shortly, also check the condition of the balljoint - is it floppy as hell - no resistance, then its worn out, better off replacing imo

Ziggy

So if the balljoint needs replacing what part do I need to buy?

Nearside front. Suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorate

So the Passenger Front Wishbone Gaitor has broken down

There is 1 of 2 things you can do
A - replace the gaitor, which is a little fiddly, but doable with a trolley jack/stand and about 1.5hours is you have a little issue

Or
Buy a new wishbone Arm
But the arms aren't cheap, so have a look and feel if the balljoint is actually worn out or not
if its Firm and smooth = good
if its floopy / little resistance / Clunks / pops up and down / side to side
its worn out and needs replacing
If 1 has gone, the other DOES follow....

Ziggy

If it's bad is this a good price wishbone £35.55 with discount and how easy are they to fit compared with the gaiter?

It's about right from my experience.

Replacing the wishbones is not that hard, but it will take a few hours and have you cursing and sweating by the end if you have not done it before (maybe if you have too!).

The bolts going through the bushes into the suspension assembly are big beasts......and you've got the added joy of taking the anti roll bar off and back on, without snapping bolts or cross threading

If it's bad is this a good price wishbone £35.55 with discount and how easy are they to fit compared with the gaiter?

thats a good price
as said if water has been in the joint a while it will have done damage so best to change the arm
remember to have some suitable bolts to hand for the anti roll bar as the old ones will likely shear
watch you dont damage the pinch bolt on the balljoint whilst removing it and dont push the new joint too far into the hub or the bolt wont go through,dont have it too loose that it can pop out either (take a photo of its position prior to removal if this will help reassembly

dont forget to support vehicle on axle stand:)

thats a good price
as said if water has been in the joint a while it will have done damage so best to change the arm
remember to have some suitable bolts to hand for the anti roll bar as the old ones will likely shear
watch you dont damage the pinch bolt on the balljoint whilst removing it and dont push the new joint too far into the hub or the bolt wont go through,dont have it too loose that it can pop out either (take a photo of its position prior to removal if this will help reassembly

dont forget to support vehicle on axle stand:)

good advice

You can feel the ball joint locate on the pinch bolt correctly if you move it up and down a bit, the ball joint spindle has a groove in it for this.
Definitely axle stand, the car may move a bit as you grunt into it

Im jumping around between problems a bit but just took off the rear wheel to check out the handbrake disconnection problem. Couldnt see any obvious things which looked like cables what exactly am I looking for?

Back