General MOT.FAIL

Currently reading:
General MOT.FAIL

citroen john

Hi all,does any member have a front subframe for a Fiat stilo 1.9 jtd estate 05 reg.Major shock today rusty frame and it had been welded previously,mot man not impressed said welding frame is against the law??

Hi all,does any member have a front subframe for a Fiat stilo 1.9 jtd estate 05 reg.Major shock today rusty frame and it had been welded previously,mot man not impressed said welding frame is against the law??
its not ideal to weld it. you could try looking for a bravo 2 one i think its the same, or it's £400 for a pattern one. i had to buy one last year.

Unfortunately there's welding and welding. Especially as most subframes have some welding as part of their manufacturing process, and a proper repair would be unnoticeable. Whereas some piece of bodged stuck on patch would be suspect.

Check the old MoTs to see when it failed (as you wouldn't just weld for the fun of it), and that will guide you to what was done and by whom https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

Sometimes a second opinion is required. I/we are not in a position to say/judge if the original MOT tester is right or wrong in his/her judgement about the safety / MOT worthy ness of the subframe and repairs. However to my knowledge any correctly repair structure / item is not against the law.

In fact LAW and MOT standards are two completely different things. You will not find in law a specific law/item concerning sub frame repairs! However driving a vehicle with no MOT is another matter.

Pedantic s aside I would get a second opinion for YOUR/FAMILY SAFETY. That comes first and foremost. MOT chit is another matter.

Personally I'd never be happy with a welded or repaied subframe.

An '05 might have the same subframe as the Bravo.. (is yours a 120bhp?)... but when you're searching that might not actually help much.

The earlier Stilo (115bhp) had different wishbone arms (cast, not stamped and welded) and so I think the sub-frame was different, which affected the arms and the dampers too, otherwise it would fit "by itself".

Ralf S.

Ralf, unfortunately now a month later, the OP hasn't bothered to come back or respond despite folk bothering to give him the best of their knowledge.

Totally pig ignorant in my view, and not worth any further consideration :mad:.

An '05 might have the same subframe as the Bravo.. (is yours a 120bhp?)... but when you're searching that might not actually help much.

The earlier Stilo (115bhp) had different wishbone arms (cast, not stamped and welded) and so I think the sub-frame was different, which affected the arms and the dampers too, otherwise it would fit "by itself".

Ralf S.
At last a reply. Thanks for the info, could not find diesel frame on ebay but found correct frame in Spain, paid and they said dispatched ,two weeks later frame had not been sent due to company mix up,they offered free post not so, then my bank not being able to send funds to their bank another couple of weeks delay. Found a Bravo 2 frame on ebay in London at a Fiat specilist, I ask will this fit my Stilo,they do not know. Look at photos and take a chance buy it £140.00 .My Stilo has the cast arms BUT has 14mm.fixing bolts at the front bush not 12mm. The lower arms from my car fitted the Bravo 2 frame 14mm holes, I did change the offside arm due to rear bush failure the arm sent had 12mm hole but was the same dimentions

Back