General MOT Fail on Brake cylinders and pipes

Currently reading:
General MOT Fail on Brake cylinders and pipes

Okay, so long story short - I need to go get 'Lucy' back off of Halfords and then take it all from there.

Anyone have any idea how long this would take a relative amateur to do - could it all be done in one day?

Like I said, I'm no mechanic, but am pretty competent at following instructions, and learning as I go.

Thank you to everyone on here - you're all awesome!

As long as you get all the parts in advance, yeah it should be doable in a day. I'd recommend an extra pair of hands with some experience though, sadly Somerset is a bit far for me but someone might be nearby!

ps. forgot to mention you'll also need brake pipe unions if you're going to replace the pipe. I can't remember the sizes off the top of my head but it's worth getting about 10 each male and female (10mm rings a bell?).

Let's see for ourselves if the cylinders are leaking first.
If they are leaking it should have been on MOT.

Don't rush it , it will go wrong.
Are you in a rush to get car MOTed?
As you are learning as you go along it will take longer than you think.
Yes rear brakes are the same between cinq and sei.

Don't rush it , it will go wrong.
Are you in a rush to get car MOTed?
Not particularly, but where it is parked is a public car park so can't really leave it all jacked up etc for too long.
As you are learning as you go along it will take longer than you think.
Planning on spending a Sunday on it - do you think a day will be long enough to do it all?
Yes rear brakes are the same between cinq and sei.
Okay, great thanks. that makes it a bit simpler then. Just having a look at it in the Haynes manual now...

Step one get car back.
Step two take drum off one side see if wheel cylinder leaking, put brake drum and wheel back on. So it's not jacked up in public car park.
Step three do same to other side.
Step 4 order parts.

Last edited:
Step one get car back.
Step two take drum off one side see if wheel cylinder leaking.
Step three do same to other side.
Step 4 order parts.

Step one = Done :slayer:
Steps two & three = Next on my list - job for Sunday
Step 4 = Will do accordingly, and then the 'doing' of everything will be on a nice sunny Sunday.(y)

Thats it see what needs doing , get parts , plan day, plan work order , plan tea breaks , do job

If it was me, and its not, I would be buying new shows, new drums and new actuators. possibly even a handbrake cable.

They are cheap as chips and you will know its all done.

D

Worth thinking about, thanks - however part of the reason for doing this is to bring the £450 price tag down as significanlty as we can.

OK..calm down....

As the rear brakes are used the wear the drum. This forms a lip on the inside of the drum.

To get the best possible brake pedal the shoes need to be set to be as close to the drum as possible.

If you try fitting the used drums back on the shoes will end up too far away from the rubbing surface to get a good pedal.

So, its either an hour or so with emery cloth or £26....I know which way I would go.

D

W however part of the reason for doing this is to bring the £450 price tag down as significantly as we can.

You will still be under the £450 by a large margin, and you will have done the job right.

I can guarantee that for £450 Halfrauds would leave you with a lousy brake pedal and give you some ****e excuse like,'they are all like that'.....

D

Back