Technical More Sei Service help

Currently reading:
Technical More Sei Service help

bassy-alex

Bassist Extraordinaire
:(

Im really not very good a car things - should stick to music...

Anyway, Im now trying to get the oil filter off... i used one of those chain wrench things; and all it did was kinda crunch the outside of the oil filter - it wouldnt grip, and just slipped round.

i had a look on he internet, and lots of guides said to puncture the filter with a screwdriver and a hammer, let the oil drain out, and then use the screwdriver as a lever to turn the filter... Ive tried this and just cant get it to turn! :confused:

Where am i going wrong!!! Althoug i thought this would be easy, ive now decided im just not very good at this type of thing, so be as basic/blunt as you like! Does the screwdriver thing work? Whats the best method? And which way am i meant to be turning the filter (i think towards the back of the car)?

Cheers in advance!

wrong way i think.. let me just have a look on my car..
the screwdriver works fine, make sure your not to near the end which attaches to engine though as a pipe sticks out into the filter ;) Also make sure you whack it a long way in the filter or the filter housing just mashes up before it turns

edit: right looked at mine, you wanna be turning (if looking from above) the top towards front of car (Anti clockwise if you look at it from end) so if your under the car, yes turn towards the back.. When you put new one one only tighten it by hand and smear a bit of fresh oil on the seal before you put it on

Yeah!!!

Its off....

I guess a lot of this is experiance - but im findingthis hard! i guess not having ideal tools/working conditions dosent really help.

Anyway... await my next question!!!

Cheers again blu.(y)

No problemo mate, yeh its a bit tricky when your not completely sure what your doing but at least when you finish you'll be able to do an oil change no problems. I hadn't done much to cars when i got my Sei but i have done quite a few jobs now. As soon as you get some under your belt things start to become less daunting. I have now done new headgasket, cambelt, alternator belt, rear wheel bearings, handrake overhaul, replaced exhaust, probably some more i can think of right now too. I feel quite confident to take bit apart now..

Yeah it was a long screwdriver... but i hadnt putit through far enough at first...

The new filter is on (hand tight like you said, with the oil), and im gonna do the plugs in a minute...

Cheers again for the help!(y)

Right... hopefully this should be my last question...

Ive done the oil filter, and refilled the oil - all good. Did some other bits and pieces; and allthough im still waiting for my HT leads, thought id do the spark plugs now...

So the first 2 (working from right to left as your looking into the engine bay) go perfectly; but the 3rd i just cant undo (its sooo tight) and the 4th i dont seem to beable to get to the 'nut' bi of it :confused: its almost as tho its to far down, and the bit i need to get too is surrounded?

Any ideas?

Cheers!

You've put the plugs you've taken out back (or the new ones?). Warm the engine up. Then the third plug should come out easily. The trick with the 4th one is to put the socket on first, then an extension bar (or even a swivel joint or wobble bar) and then the ratchet. Make sure the socket it all the way and it'll come off OK.

Cool!

Ill give that a try: fingers - ive replaced the 2 that i could get out with the new ones, i assume its ok to use a combination of plugs just to run the engine to get the old ones out?

Custard - i was going to have porridge actually!!! hopefull this should work, cos i kinda need the car tomorrow evening!

Cheers again!

Back