More computer problems

Currently reading:
More computer problems

Ah, so you have connected using USB? Always a bad thing IME....it's crap software and the best way to connect is through a LAN card, which I guess you don't have hence the choice of USB.

The first thing to do is to switch off and switch on the broadband modem, leave off for about 30 seconds. When it is back on, leave it for a minute or two before using your computer again (restart if you want) and try again. Hopefully that will solve it simply.

Because it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, it isn't likely to be your computer IMO anyway...Basically with your speed most webpages such be pretty much instant, only let down by your computer and by the connection of the website.

You could switch off and unplug the USB modem from your computer and uninstall (start/control panel/add or remove programs) whatever the software is called, I forget, something stupid ;) CorrectCOnnect? Then using the CD you go, reinstall the software and then replug in your modem and switch it on when you've done that, that should allow you to go into medic.

If the above doesn't fix it, I would probably phone up NTL and tell them the following:

"I have a problem with my 1.5 megabit internet connection. Sometimes when I try to load pages it works, but most the time it doesn't. I have been told that this could be a connection error and wondered if there was some way of you trying to help me sort it out please?"

They will of course say it is your computer lol - they might ask you to use correctconnect to work out the problem and it wouldn't look good if you couldn't get it to work.

Of course I assume you have tried adaware first Lora? You would be surprised how many slow/faulty internet connections are caused by adware/spywear that AdAware gets rid of....Try this first before all the above.

I am sorry that none of this is in any sort of order, I randomly wrote different bits at different times lol

Yeah i have IE and opera though... i'll just use IE though and change my chache thing... see if that helps :D

Thanyou :D

Thanks Paul.

Yes i use a USB the other cable they gave me was blue and scary and it didnt seem to fit anyway on my computer so i chose the USB option. I have no idea what a LAN card is :p

I've tried switching it on and off, leaving it and restarting it etc.

I dont really want unistall the software due to the fact i had such a problem installing it... this was mainly because i dont have a cd drive :)

I've run my newly installed adaware (thanks paul) didnt seem to solve anything :S

On that adaware, have you downloaded the latest reference-file once you installed the program?

Plus it is worth running it using the custom-scan option - that way, it selects more files to check, even though longer to run.

Check the back of your computer for a socket that will fit the scary blue cable...it's a lot better! lol

I forgot about the CD-ROM problem....erm, without reinstalling I am not sure now what your next step should be. Does it happen in both web browsers? Do you know if the NTL man tested the line by any chance?

I wasnt here when it was installed so i wouldnt no about the line testing etc :S

Yeah it happens in both browsers but worse in IE... but saying that opera was quicker with dial up as well :S

Its getting beyond a joke.... my dial up was quicker than this :mad:

Looks like i'll have another rant to ntl tmoz

Stuart DemonD said:
No CD-Rom - may I ask why???
Well my compuers 7 years old so it broke :p Well it broke 3 years ago.

I bought one of ebay a couple of weeks ago but it didnt work :S i'll get round to buying one soon :)

Do NTL give you a free support number? I am not sure if they do for lowly 300kbs users like me but for 1.5mbit users like yourself they probably do...

If it never did it on dial up and was quicker on there but does on BB I can offer the following possible problems:

BB software (advice: reinstall)
Line problem (advice: NTL need to either reset your line or send an engineer around etc.)

Yeah i no Stu its just something i dont use so never got round to buying tbh :eek:

Paul they dont have a free one for me :( its national rate.

I'm going to phone ntl tomorrow and ask them to test the line.

Then i'll reinstall drivers as a last resort. Its not just the fact i dont have a cd drive... there were also problems with the drivers not installing properly, i only got it working in the end from ntl giving me an address to get them from they're internal site thing. Which i unfortunatly didnt write down :( didnt think i'd need it again

Check your history (along the top of the menu bar on IE, it may go "search/favourites/history" and see if you can find it there....) THat was nice of NTL actually, I wouldn't have expcted them to do something like that!

If you do reinstall I am sure we will give you as much help as we can and you should be able to use dial up whilst you're at it.

I thought people might be getting bored of my ugly mug - it was a few months since the competition lol

Back