Technical Mk2b No acceleration, Engine Warning light

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2b No acceleration, Engine Warning light

Hi all, for a few months now I have been having a problem with my MK2b (05) and wondered if you could shed some light on it for me. Just note, cars wise im a novice so simple instructions would be best but i'm here to learn :)

Basically when I start my Punto in the morning often, but not all the time, its very sluggish. Basically putting my foot on the accelerator when driving does nothing then it bursts into action, then slows right down again. I have just enough speed to go around at 15-20mph with bursts to 30 and then down again. Also the Engine Warning light (orange) flashes but doesn't stay on. Eventually after driving a couple of laps of the estate it kicks in and drives perfectly. I have noticed the issue occurs more often when its been raining/damp (so often in England).

Just some notes:
Petrol (Happens at all levels)
Oil - checked
Water - checked
New Battery a couple of months ago bosch
Alternator was checked a few months ago by RAC no problems
Steering column was replaced around December last year by fiat (power steering completely went)

Any ideas, if you need any other info please ask :)

check ur ht leads, u can do it at night, and spray some water on the running engine, that way u'll see if there are any sparks flying around :D

check ur ht leads, u can do it at night, and spray some water on the running engine, that way u'll see if there are any sparks flying around :D

Water + Electronics = Not the best idea

You'll know if a Lead is arc'in out
it makes a loud cracking noise - heard over the engine
Sometimes you need to put a load on the engine (blipping throttle)

I used a light to explore and it exposed the blue flashing lights from a dead HT
When it sparks out - the plastic/rubber/silicone around it goes slightly whitey/grey

Ziggy

car wants a dollop of money spending on that big ugly lump under the bonnet
some call it an injun
others a donkey
anyway just like a donkey cant climb a mountain without fresh carrots injuns need keeping in fettle
basically needs
pluggies
leadies
airy filter
and probably any oily and filtery
you need to open that wallet now before you damage bits further up the food chain like ecu

good luck:D

it's the petrol pump dying. had the same problem in my mk2b ( 04 )

Spray water on the electrics, you got men in white jackets after you? What a stupid suggestion. Agree with others about ht leads, plugs and air filter. All easy and cheap to change out. Fuel pump could be a possible cause but its an expensive option.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions I will be looking for the arching later when it gets a little darker just went out to the car and couldn't see anything but it is fairly bright.

On another matter about a week ago I was driving home on the motorway and the oil waning light (red) came on. I stopped at the services, let the car cool a bit and topped the oil up (something I hadnt done in a while). The light stayed on but I drove home about 10 miles and left the car over night. Next day I started the car and there was no light. Anyway I haven't used the car again until moving it to check the arcing and the light is back. I checked the dipstick the oil is within the min and max mark and there is no oil on the floor. Any ideas what this could be now? I have "googled" and found it could be the oil switch?? Just thought I'd ask you guys as your all very knowlegable :)

I'll update later with the arcing info. Oh 1 more thing, my dad says there is some spray you can get for HT leads to protect them from damp but can't remember what it is called, I read don't use WD40, any ideas on that too.

Sorry to pick your brains so much :)

Hi all,

Been out tonight, can't see any arcing around the leads, or anywhere actually, revved the car a little too but nothing.

Also Ziggy are the sensors cheap and easy to fit. Id rather pay to try that than take it to a garage for it to be that and them charge me a fortune.

Regards,

Hi all,

Just an update to end this thread, the problem was with the sensor. Had it replaced and touch wood, all is good now :)

Back