Technical mk2 wheel bearing replacement

Currently reading:
Technical mk2 wheel bearing replacement

malty123

do i need to remove the hub assembly to replace the front wheel bearings on an 02 mk2 punto?

also any tricks to remove / replace the bearing or is it a hydraulic press job?

and does the new bearing kit come with the nut for the driveshaft cuz mines goosed?

Last edited:
You could do it without removing the hub, but it wouldn't make it a great deal easier.

It's a hydraulic press job, unless you have a big 2-jaw puller (~20t capacity) or one of those special pressure screw/adapter sets.

I've never had a replacement wheel bearing come with a new driveshaft nut, but i'm sure it'd be cheap from the dealer.

You could do it without removing the hub, but it wouldn't make it a great deal easier.

It's a hydraulic press job, unless you have a big 2-jaw puller (~20t capacity) or one of those special pressure screw/adapter sets.

I've never had a replacement wheel bearing come with a new driveshaft nut, but i'm sure it'd be cheap from the dealer.

thanks

with the hub off, whats the process to remove the bearing?

This is pretty much identical:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-ge...-wheel-bearings-hydraulic-press-required.html

Seems that some of the replacement bearings on eBay do come with a new hub nut.

If you don't have access to the right tools and equipment, don't attempt to change it. You can get it apart easily, but putting it back together is a different matter if it goes wrong. When you press out the old bearing it will separate, you can't put it back together. So if you get stuck, your car is not going to be mobile. (Without a flatbed truck, at least.)

thanks for the info Moosey...ive got access to a press so should be straight forward

first thig i noticed is my hub hasnt got the seal fitted which is perhaps why ive got the problem

Make sure you've got a torque wrench that will go up to 300 Nm. Most torque wrenches only go up to about 150 Nm, and this is not enough for hub nuts. Do check that I haven't confused my Nm / lb ft units, since I haven't got my torque wrench beside me for reference.

Make sure you've got a torque wrench that will go up to 300 Nm. Most torque wrenches only go up to about 150 Nm, and this is not enough for hub nuts. Do check that I haven't confused my Nm / lb ft units, since I haven't got my torque wrench beside me for reference.

Heh.. torquing hub nuts..

CIMG2587.jpg

(That's a standard 3/8" ratchet next to it.)

just bought the bearing kit but there isnt a seal with it, and the shop didnt list one sepeately:confused:

does the mk2 have one fitted?

Can anyone confirm what torque the hub nut has to be tightened to.

I've got the new bearing in and its all ready to put back together..

Back