General Mk1 Uno Turbo reshell

Currently reading:
General Mk1 Uno Turbo reshell

Turnip

Howdy all..... Been meaning to keep everyone posted on my reshelling mission, but ive been a bit slack so i thought its about time to post some pics..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

tommorow gonna finally get to crank the engine over, just need to get an oil filter.... cant wait!..
Also somehow need to sort out some electrical probs, indicators work both sides but when the hazard light switch is pressed only the right side flashes, any ideas?.. And the wiper only seems to function when the key is slightly twisted on, from the off position....

:rolleyes:

Right.. Engine started and fired up today which is a relief.. well sort of.. Now ive got a few electrical probs to sort out.
After some searching through the forum im guessing some of the problems will be down to bad earthing and dirty connections.. fingers crossed!.

Right.. Engine started and fired up today which is a relief.. well sort of.. Now ive got a few electrical probs to sort out.
After some searching through the forum im guessing some of the problems will be down to bad earthing and dirty connections.. fingers crossed!.

Good stuff! :)

Did you swap over the whole wiring loom? Everything happened so quickly in the photos!

-Alex

Yea, whole loom, everything......
Should of tested the electrics before i pulled them out.. The fuse box originally had a burnt hole through the wiper fuse so i didnt really trust it, has a new one on now.

The swap over was pretty quick, actually i cant remember..... I think i passed out trying to undo a driveshaft nut, and when i came to the car was as it is now, dont remember a thing...

Must of transformed into the Incredible Mechanic

:D

Or perhaps there were some special leaves getting burned...!

Hmmmm......... Quite possibly

Looking like you're making good progress there

Was making good progress, but kind of at a halt at the mo...

Electrics is not my thing what so ever.. I can unbolt and rebolt.. but stuck on a few probs..

Hazard lights only flash on one side.
Windscreen wiper only works if the key is slightly twisted on from the off position..
No oil pressure reading, when key is on it jumps to max, when engine is turned on it drops back to zero...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hazard lights only flash on one side.
Windscreen wiper only works if the key is slightly twisted on from the off position..
No oil pressure reading, when key is on it jumps to max, when engine is turned on it drops back to zero...

Hazard lights - try changing the switch, possibly also the flasher unit plugged into the stalk switch.

Wiper and oil pressure - sounds like you have an ignition switch that is incompatible with the lock barrel! Believe it or not, they turn 'on' at slightly different angles. Try interchanging switches/steering columns until you find a combination that works. The heater fan is probably also affected at the same time as the wiper, plus many other circuits.

-Alex

Last edited:
Howdy all..... me again!..

Had a long break from the project, but im back on the case...

Got myself and fitted some braided brake hoses today, filled the lines with some fluid and took it for a spin round the block.... Ahhh, what joy to finally drive it... Its all set completly standard, It did have a boost tap that i removed as i would like to get it standardly sorted before i start adding the nessasary power gains.. It still has the dump valve but isnt dumping like it was with the tap on... Its very weak, cant even hear it if im driving with my head out the window.. standard air filter so i guess its not pulling in enough air or pressure for it to really tiiiish!.... Im a proper noob to this turbo stuff, so feel free to school me... Ive only owned pandas..

Still a few probs to deal with but almost there....
Brakes need more bleeding as the brakes felt super spongy and was not at the least safe..
Sorted the indicator and hazard prob, was just a loose wire connection at the lock barrel, little jiggle and it works now...
No power still on the wipers, no power going through the wiper fuse, it does work when i put a live through the fuse slot, so may have to add a power line to it..
No power on the heater fan also..
Oil temp and Pressure gives no reading??
I tried interchanging switches/steering columns but it was the same.

Any more Ideas?

DSC00030.jpg

Dont worry about the looks.. got all the nessasary plastics and rear hatch door that needs spraying blue.. Also got some lovely little 13in alloys, which i should get round to spraying graphite grey today...

DSC00024.jpg

Oh.... one more question... At what temp should the radiator fan cut in on?
Cheers!...:slayer:

Thats gonna look wicked in that colour.

For the spongy brakes, have somebody pump the pedal and hold it down, then crack one of the unions off on the master cylinder (put a rag under to catch any fluid) air sometimes gets trapped in there.

Matt

Great progress - nice to see something happening in the Uno forum (y)

Sounds like you're still short of a power feed to the fusebox. There are several thick red wires in the area - make sure they're all plugged-in and live. It may be that one of them is not connected to the alternator where it should be.

I like the standard steel wheels in clean, original condition :D Leave the alloys in the garage and go for that 'sleeper' look...

The radiator fan 1st speed comes on about 95 degrees C (just past halfway), and 2nd speed about 105.

-Alex

Last edited:
Got round to spraying the wheels:D...... Came out pretty good, just cant wait to see them on the car.... .

The wheels had loads of old silver paint on them so i stripped that a while ago.....

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Gonna get the tyres fitted today i think... perhaps i should leave it till tomorrow to let the lacquer fully harden, its had around 14 hours since i lacquered them..

Yey(y)! but Ney(n)..... Cars finally out and about, bloody fun.. But as i thought, now i need to replace a few things...

Header tank is completly f****d, tryed fixing it with various compounds but no joy, will need a replacement... Anyone know of a spare one floating about?.

Also noticed that the fuel rail is leaking, not a good look!, dont want my hard work going up in flames.... Again, anyone with a spare?.. Or is it possible to fix?.

DSC00089.jpg

Yey(y)! but Ney(n)..... Cars finally out and about, bloody fun.. But as i thought, now i need to replace a few things...

Header tank is completly f****d, tryed fixing it with various compounds but no joy, will need a replacement... Anyone know of a spare one floating about?.

Also noticed that the fuel rail is leaking, not a good look!, dont want my hard work going up in flames.... Again, anyone with a spare?.. Or is it possible to fix?.

speek to dunc, about the fuel rail,i think he either made a new one, or had it made, plus he does alloy tanks too(y)

whereabouts are you? come to the next ace meet

Last edited:
Cool....

North London im based, been meaning to hit up the ace cafe, when is the next meet?

Back