Technical Mk1 fiat punto sporting timing!! **!!help!!**

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 fiat punto sporting timing!! **!!help!!**

jason1989

Hey guys,

I have just replaced the head gasket on my mk1 sporting. The only problem I have is I can not find the TDC for the cams/valves..I don't want to risk turning the engine over & bending all the valves either..

So the problem is finding the timing on the top half of the engine, I have sorted the bottom but there is no marks on the pully anywhere & there is no marks on the cogs the other end of the engine..

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!

Thanks

Jason.

Ideally you need the correct tools to do it properly as on the 1.2 16v you need all 4 pistons in the middle which can only be one with the specific tools. The cams also have to be locked in a specific place also.

Kit like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAVA-BRAVO-PUNTO-STILO-1-2-16V-TIMING-TOOL-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ270310091724QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270310091724&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I take it this is a 16V engine?(y)

If this is the case, there are no marks, and you are supposed to use a special tool to lock the cams in place prior to removing the head.

You really need to get yourself a haynes manual:rolleyes: but basically, get the head extension back off (best to do this as I'm not sure if it is FIRE or not). There are two hex key covers on head extension (cam housing), one on the front and one on the rear. With them both removed, rotate the cams from the pulley and either use you finger or screwdriver to feel the cut out notch in the cam rail. Once both the notches are facing the hole fully you can replace the head extension.

You also need to make sure all the pistons are set to the same height! Either special tool, or measure them to the top of each cylinder (all the same height) and mark pully position. Not ideal, but a workable solution;)

I can't help but picture all the cam followers falling out when you took off the head extension:eek:

Get yourself the manual, it will explain everything. It's important to get it right(y)

Thanks alot for that bit of help!

It is a 16v FIRE engine & yeah when I got the head skimmed the followers went everywhere! lol

Do I have to take the head extension back off to get to the marks on the cams?

I think its bloody stupid that they havn't got timing marks! It just makes things complicated & means I have to buy special tools to do the job!

:bang:

Me & my uncle can find TDC no probs bcos there is a mark on the clutch housein I believe (all I know is its bellow the coil pack) but yeah the only problem is lining up the cams in the correct location!!

[email protected] <------- DIRECT!(y)

Back