Technical mk1 55 s Coolent leak - Heater Matrix?

Currently reading:
Technical mk1 55 s Coolent leak - Heater Matrix?

MadMan0

Mk1 Punto Owner - 51 Mpg
Last year or the Year before the HG went on my car - it didn't over heat and i never found the cause for it going, the coolent level had dropped before hand, we assumed a slow coolent leak.

Now the winter months are back i've noticed the coolent level dropping again. Checks on the HG show it's all good(y)

I cannot find this leak (again) but i have started to use the heater again :chin:
So i think the Heater Matrix might have a very small hole in it. The carpets are dry and there is no sign of a leak, the coolant is going down Very slowly, and only when the Heater has been used.

Looking at this thread:
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/120...u-remove-replace-heater-matrix-mk1-punto.html

It looks like a big job of replacing the heater Matrix, and looking at the cost of a new part, i want to be 100% that i've found the route cause of the problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers(y)

if the heater matrix was leaking - i'd of throught u'd get the dreaded gurgling on startup?

Considered a Small amount of a Coolant Sealant? might be worthwhile in just possibly stopping such a small leak?

Its annoying where there is no signs
I would say check where the inlet pipes come through the bulkhead into the cabin - check for moisture

Also the temperature sensor - good chance that may also be to blame

Ziggy

Barrs Leaks will handle small leaks but as its plugging an already dirty hole its likely to fall out so isnt a permanent fix.

You could loop the heater matrix hot and cold hoses together. If the leak stops you know the matrix was to blame.

Cheers, I flushed the coolant in Jan, and i didn't notice any change in coolent level, so i guess no one had tried to plug any leaks, the Fire proof mat on the blukhead looks like it has mould growing on it? - near the hose pipes...

I guess this looks a little like coolant crystals but i wouldn't have said that it is. I tried looking for a new set of hoses but can't find anywhere other than the Fiat Dealer.

I'll keep trying to find the fault with your suggestions.
There is no gurgle at start up.

I Had a proper good look over the car yesterday.
The Heater Matrix is not at fault. The problem is with the Throttle Body, the coolant hose is cracked and lets coolant out slowly every now and again.

I Presume it's a pressure thing because it only leaks at the TB when the Heater is on.

In that case then :) Since its a hose - get it replaced and nice new clip

or if the End is splitting - get the end chopped off and a new clip

Stop it leaking now would be better for winter thats for sure,

Ziggy

My thoughts exactly. However i tried to get a new replacement hose and was told they don't stock them - EuroCarParts. I'll have to go to Fiat for that part they said.

Funny thing is, last time this happened Fiat said to try EuroCarParts!:p (Rear suspension thrust bush)

Messure the inside diameter of the hose, go out ebay and buy a meter of silicone hose and some new clips.

arent these similar to the mk2 with the bleed incorporated?
sure i looked at one last week and it was
thing is if the pipe has split then its time to change the whole kit kaboodle because they break down with age and let go on dark wet nights in the middle of nowhere (luton)
see if there is a new one in your local scrappie that the vicar scrapped last week as your first call
cant find anything in cyberspace

Back