Technical Missing Engine Coolent

Currently reading:
Technical Missing Engine Coolent

MadMan0

Mk1 Punto Owner - 51 Mpg
Hi all
Doing normal checks on all of our cars and found that the coolent in the '91 Panda has all gone :eek:
1/4 of the coolent from the '97 punto 55s has gone
99.9% coolent from the ford feista has also Gone! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Panda ran for max of 5 mins and it was HOT :eek:
I.e burning my hand type hot just off the bonnet (n)

The punto being my car seemed fine but im a little concerned if the coolent in the car normally gones down by it's self over a week? - it's my first car and i've never really worked on any coolent system's that use anything other that air to cool them..

As far as i can tell there is no damage to the panda

At least you can bulk-buy the coolant concentrate, assuming they are all running on the blue stuff of course :D

However, it looks as though you have your work cut out. Follow the Coolant system bleeding guide (most of which will be applicable to the other cars too). Once they are full, keep an eye on the levels. A drastically dropping level should have an obvious leak somewhere, look out for a salty-like crystalline deposit at all the hose unions, thermostat housing and the pump. Run the cars whilst standing over a dry piece of ground and look for puddles for clues.

There could be a lot of head gasket jobs coming up PDQ :(

I keep thinking that about my girlfriend's car. It really annoys me that sometimes I cannot find the level on hers it is so low, yet her head gasket has stayed intact. I check my level weekly and have had two HG failures :mad:. Taken to checking hers weekly now since she blatently isn't keeping an eye on it.

coolent level keeps going down and no signs of any leaks, im goona go get it "sniff" tested (dont know what it's called so hey :p)

Too see if gases are in coolent - hopefully head gaskets is fine (y)

Dont wait too long - coolant can damage the exhaust catayst and the Lambda sensor. Not to mention, burnt metal in the engine where the gas flames blast through the broken gasket gap.

Test came back good (y)
Head gasket is fine (y)
No leaks found (y)

Coolent levels are slowly going down still :confused:

Check every hose carefully. if nothing found put in some Radweld (about £5 for a little bottle) in NOT WONDERWELD.

If the leak stops its most likely the radiator. Water pumps tend to drip and the heater matrix makes the car smell musty of coolant. Replace the rad they are not too bad for price.

Last edited:
Just got back from hols, left punto on the road, no coolent leaks - so just when the engine is up too temp does it leak.

The festia blow up yeserday... (n)
Coolent was fine but all of the oil came out of the engine with a loud tapping noise. we think its the tappets making the noise (Dont know what these are but hey (y))

Just as well because when i drove the car 2-3 days ago i thought it was broken, no else thought so and then BANG :bang:

Looking for new engine (Recon) or mabey new if cheep enough :) Just passed MOT from kwick fit a few days before it blew up - had alot of work done on it.. (n)

There service really shows up here (y) 2 strikes for kwick fit (2 differnt garages in or around Chingford E4 London) - just thought i'd warn you all again

Back