Technical missing can-bus wires..

Currently reading:
Technical missing can-bus wires..

dick747

Greetings from Assendelft, Holland, to you all!
I have a question:
We have a Fiat Ducato Knaus camper, and I want tot assemble a Fiat Uconnect Navi in it. I've bought it from a gentleman who wanted a bigger screen in his new 2015 car, including the radiocode..

But our Duc is made in 2008, and I do not see the Canbus wires in the Iso plug in the dash at A1 en A3..I thought my car would have Canbus wires, but no...(n)(n)

Is it possible to mount wires myself from te body computer Can bus, to the Iso plug? (can high and can Low). :confused:

What do you think? Will it work..then I can test the radio..to unlock the
"code error" on my workbench..:worship:

Thank you for a reaction in advance!(y)

Attachments

• onze camper.jpg
    onze camper.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 404
  • eigen stekker.JPG
    eigen stekker.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 250
  • fiat250vp2_1.JPG
    fiat250vp2_1.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 320
  • schema brede stekker.jpg
    schema brede stekker.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 602
It looks to me like someone has input the code incorrectly and you have to leave it powered on (at least 30 minutes) until it brings up the keypad again.

Thank you for the respons, I will try this today..

I have done it before, but I will wait longer..
Some people say to my that the unit cannot find the unlock signal from the canbus.. so it must be connected the the Canbus..
I'm going to try again...

Some people say to my that the unit cannot find the unlock signal from the canbus.. so it must be connected the the Canbus..

Your body computer wont have the correct vin to unlock it so I dont think connecting can bus will solve it but I suppose it is possible it will bring up the keypad if it finds the wrong vin.

Start stop ducatos have an extra controller under the dash that plugs into the radio so that could also be a factor if the previous owners van was stop start??

Also navigation updates are tied to VIN so I wonder if it does start up will you have any navigation.

You may be very right.
At firstI have to look which type of body computer is in the car.
What is the ISO protocol? The same as the Duc from 2015?
I think it might be so, Iso 14230-4..for the 250 2007 (and newer types).

Then it should be possible to unlock te radio through the canbus connection.. But there is a risk..

I prefer to assemble the radio stand allone trough the leisure battery in the car..Perhaps in any way there is a Fiat Canbus Simulator or an other solution..

The connector shows the canbus pins in the picture.

Well, it's a kind of hobby making it work, but is isn't simple, ha,ha

Attachments

• stekker binnenkant can his.jpg
    stekker binnenkant can his.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 266
Have you tried a unit at the Dealers they are a load of rubbish. Maps seem to be only available when Fiat decide on an update. POI's can only be loaded one at a time not downloaded in a block. It will need the CanBus to operate properly as otherwise it will not turn off when you switch the ignition off and will not know that it should dim the display when you put your lights on. I take it you are trying to fit it in a X250. If so you will need to connect into the can bus which you can pick up off the OBD2 Connector. Only problem with doing that is that the vehicle CanBus is not going to be happy as it will find an entertainment module that it should not have. This is not a major problem as all it will do is flash the mileage on the speedo. You need to get a PROXI reset from your FIAT Dealer to sort this. However once you do that the date and time functions may dissapear from the MENU Button and you have to change them via the radio / sat nav.

Well how do I know all this. I took my UConnect5 out and left it on the shelf in the garage. I then tried to fit a New Blaupunkt 945 unit. Mine is Fiat X290 Motorhome. Sounds simple but it's not. Which is how I found out about the CanBus because without the UConnect5 unit in the CanBus was not happy and the Date / Time and Mileage Started flashing :bang:

I have now sorted all my problems and have a great Radio / Sat Nav fitted.

There are TWO Can buses CAN H and CAN L is one set CANHIS H and CANHIS L is the other set. I don't know if you need both sets to make it work. You may also have a problem getting the right connector for the back of the radio.

You will also find that this is a very very stripped down version of TomTom software and many of the TomTom functions like changing voices are not available.

Last edited:
User1 thank you for this relevant information..(y)

It is indeed a kind of risk to connect the wires to the canbus..and I'm not sure using Canhis or the Can..pins from the block connector. I assume Canhis means Can history..so I need a bit further information at that point.
But I am not in a hurry, our first trip with the camper is about 1 april, when the weather is a bit better.

I've made connections to the canbus trough the OBDII-plug before succesfully, I mounted a original rev meter in the Twingo from my wife.

So I am a bit hopefull..but I don't want to ruin the body computer of the Duc..
I have sent a mail for a wiring diagram to the Continental factory in Brandys nad Labem in the Czech republic..perhaps I get an answer..
I like your Blaupunkt 945 unit..(y)

Attachments

• twingo lyda.jpg
    twingo lyda.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 39
  • toerenteller twingo.jpg
    toerenteller twingo.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 56
  • heerhugowaard.png
    heerhugowaard.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 72
I did not take the risk to connect te Uconnect in my Duc 250...and I was able to buy a Clarion NX501e.. This unit requires no Canbus signals at all and it is working properly...the navi, the radio, the USB,Dvd, Bluetooth,etc..
So it was a rather easy job building it in the car.(y)

But I still have the Uconnect and it is a challenge for me to make it work even on the bench in my garage. I think it is possible with a Can Bus simulator of emulator.. I don not know yet which one I need.. No matter, It 's a hobby job, ha,ha..:)

Attachments

• navi in dashbord eigen fiat.jpg
    navi in dashbord eigen fiat.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 74
  • navi voor forum.jpg
    navi voor forum.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi Dick 747
I have been reading your threads with great interest, as I believe we have similar Ducato base units, you, along with Corcia, jointly appear to have a lot of knowledge in areas of auto electronics, where I am very weak!
I am an ex marine engineer officer, so very hands on, now retired and enjoying life here in mid Devon.UK. I have recently purchased a 2015 LHD Hymer Exsis i588 on a Ducato chassis, it is fitted with a 2.3 multijet 150bhp engine, and the unit is now UK registered.
My first job was to fit a Satnav system and opted for the Pioneer Avic f88dab unit, which is a fantastic piece of kit.
Common sense then depicted I should fit a Ducato Multifunction steering wheel to provide the added benefits of hands free use of the telephone and music system.
Then....the problems began! apart from removing the original wheel and airbag (the latter being a story for another time!!), all went well, except, I cannot find a way to connect the buttons on the steering wheel to the clock spring as there does not appear to be enough terminals. There are in fact 6, 2 are used for the airbag and 2 for the horn, I believe I need to fit a different clock spring with additional wiring to link to the buttons on the left and right hand side of the steering wheel.
If I am right, which one do I need, and more importantly, if I start getting deeper into this area of electronics do I risk screwing up the entire system !!
I have been advised by the local Fiat dealers that it cannot be done? because the vehicle ECU will not recognise the changes, but I love a challenge, and this project has certainly been that.
The airbag has only one plug in connector, (I note some have 2).
With your knowledge, can you confirm if this project is impossible to complete, in which case I will just live with a nice new multifunction steering wheel that will never multifunction!!
P.s. I am aware that I will also require an interface connection should I ever resolve part A of the problem.
Any assistance would be truly appreciated, whether it is Negative or Positive !!!!
Kind regards
RFC7

Back