Milk Bottle(Glass) V'S Milk Bottle(Plastic)

Currently reading:
Milk Bottle(Glass) V'S Milk Bottle(Plastic)

I do not like using the Plastic Milk Bottles. I am used to using the old type Sterilized Milk Glass Bottles from the 70's and 80's.
Of course over time the Milk Bottles wear and get cracks etc on them.

I had this problem, so went on the internet to look for some more. The prices were too much.
Looked around and came across article that basically said you can still get Glass Bottles of milk .
Tried big supermarkets. No good.

Then went into my local store. There they are. 500mls. Whole Milk, just 99p. (See Photo).

Brought one and tried it in my tea. Bad after taste. Turns out the milk is from the EU.
Tipped milk down the sink and rinsed bottle out.

Then poured my milk into bottle using jug, (See Photo). Can get three quarters of a pint in bottle, (See Photo).
Very happy. Of course, once milk bottle empty I rinsed it out. Then I put small amount of Bleach in and topped up with water. (See Photo).
Leave 3 to 4 hours and rinse out.

Then I rinse bottle out 3 or 4 times to make sure it is clean and safe to put more milk in, (See Photo).
Then the bottle is nice and clean for further use,(See Photo).

It is so easy to hold and pour out the milk from a Glass Milk Bottle, even my 94 year old mom does it easily.

And, of course, Glass is recyclable.

Hope this is of interest.

Attachments

• WP_20220307_001.jpg
    WP_20220307_001.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 55
  • WP_20220307_003.jpg
    WP_20220307_003.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 37
  • WP_20220307_004.jpg
    WP_20220307_004.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 40
  • WP_20220307_007.jpg
    WP_20220307_007.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 35
  • WP_20220307_008.jpg
    WP_20220307_008.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 34
  • WP_20220307_009.jpg
    WP_20220307_009.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Milk to your door in glass bottles. Could have saved yourself a lot of effort.....

There is a website called Reddit for this sort of stuff

We briefly changed to a milk subscription which was delivered in glass bottles, just in an attempt to reduce our plastic waste. I'm not really sure on the specifics but afaik the milk had no/little preservative, you may see this as a positive but as the bottles are only available in one quantity we found it would go off before we'd used it up. We tried reducing our delivery frequency to 2 a week but would run out over the weekend.
Unfortunately we couldn't make the subscription service work for us, but hey ho we tried!

Milk to your door in glass bottles. Could have saved yourself a lot of effort.....

There is a website called Reddit for this sort of stuff
Thanks for reply. We don't have any milk rounds in our area.

My area has no milk rounds so we have to buy from the local store. But just for information - British milk in plastic bottles is pasteurised only. There is no preservative. The ultra filtered versions also have no preservative.

My area has no milk rounds so we have to buy from the local store. But just for information - British milk in plastic bottles is pasteurised only. There is no preservative. The ultra filtered versions also have no preservative.
Thanks for reply. I get our milk from Co-op. It has a Blue Top and is Fresh Whole Milk. Then I transfer milk to a glass bottle as described earlier.
So much easier to pour the milk from.

Thanks for reply. I get our milk from Co-op. It has a Blue Top and is Fresh Whole Milk. Then I transfer milk to a glass bottle as described earlier.
So much easier to pour the milk from.
Nice idea but the decanted milk will probably go sour faster. Not an issue in our house as it gets used pretty quickly but shelf life will be reduced.

Reactions: AED
Nice idea but the decanted milk will probably go sour faster. Not an issue in our house as it gets used pretty quickly but shelf life will be reduced.
Thinking on what you mentioned, I obviously keep the milk in the fridge, both the plastic container and the glass bottles. When one gets half empty, I fill another glass bottle and put in the fridge ready for use.

We fell for the mcqueen's dairy sob story of how they are helping brittish farmers, use glass bottles to help the environment. Bunch of wasters, backed up by the reviews. We agreed to start with them at the end of november, no milk. Phoned up and was told it wasn't scheduled to start until 14th January! Read some of the reviews about the lies and "early milk delivery" at 10pm for the morning, so cancelled and back to tesco for us.

We fell for the mcqueen's dairy sob story of how they are helping brittish farmers, use glass bottles to help the environment. Bunch of wasters, backed up by the reviews. We agreed to start with them at the end of november, no milk. Phoned up and was told it wasn't scheduled to start until 14th January! Read some of the reviews about the lies and "early milk delivery" at 10pm for the morning, so cancelled and back to tesco for us.
Well done. I buy from Co-op, as it is British Milk. It is there every day, just like Tesco's milk.

I dont think we have a local co-op anymore, most changed from spar or co-op to scotmid.

I remember very well the sound of the milk bottles clinking as they were placed on the doorstep. I also remember the wire 6 bottle container which sat on our backdoor step and the wee notice with it's rotating number telling the milkman how much milk my mum wanted delivered that day. Another memory is of watching the birds picking holes in the foil top so they could get at the cream (the cream always separated back then - doesn't seem to do that anymore?

Now our children are all grown and moved out with families of their own, we don't need so much milk. In fact Mrs J prefers skimmed milk (I call it "white water" - doesn't make a good cup of tea) - so it's only me who needs "real milk". I've payed lip service to eating healthily by buying semi skimmed milk for many years and find it does the job for me. Nowadays by far the most common size is 2 litres - sometimes 4 pints - supplied in plastic containers. I'm happy with the plastic containers but would be equally happy to get it in glass bottles if it's saving the environment. The problem is that I rarely get through the 2 litre before it goes off. A friend recommended trying "Filtered" milk as it lasts much longer. We tried it, and it does! We buy it from Lidl or, occasionally, Sainsburys - we haven't come across it in other supermarkets.

P1100231.JPG

We tend to do a "big" shop every fortnight and we buy two containers which last me until the next "big" shop. I open one bottle and use it 'till empty then open the other one. Don't freeze the second bottle, just keep it in the fridge until it's needed. Tastes just like "ordinary" semi skimmed but lasts much longer.

I remember very well the sound of the milk bottles clinking as they were placed on the doorstep. I also remember the wire 6 bottle container which sat on our backdoor step and the wee notice with it's rotating number telling the milkman how much milk my mum wanted delivered that day. Another memory is of watching the birds picking holes in the foil top so they could get at the cream (the cream always separated back then - doesn't seem to do that anymore?

Now our children are all grown and moved out with families of their own, we don't need so much milk. In fact Mrs J prefers skimmed milk (I call it "white water" - doesn't make a good cup of tea) - so it's only me who needs "real milk". I've payed lip service to eating healthily by buying semi skimmed milk for many years and find it does the job for me. Nowadays by far the most common size is 2 litres - sometimes 4 pints - supplied in plastic containers. I'm happy with the plastic containers but would be equally happy to get it in glass bottles if it's saving the environment. The problem is that I rarely get through the 2 litre before it goes off. A friend recommended trying "Filtered" milk as it lasts much longer. We tried it, and it does! We buy it from Lidl or, occasionally, Sainsburys - we haven't come across it in other supermarkets.

View attachment 403714

We tend to do a "big" shop every fortnight and we buy two containers which last me until the next "big" shop. I open one bottle and use it 'till empty then open the other one. Don't freeze the second bottle, just keep it in the fridge until it's needed. Tastes just like "ordinary" semi skimmed but lasts much longer.
Know what you mean. Semi-Skimmed is terrible and does not make good anything, (My sister uses Semi Skimmed though, as it has less fat). Never heard of "Filtered" milk. Glad to see you buy British milk, like me. I have a wire 4 bottle container. I have 4 Glass Bottles now. 2 usually in fridge. When I clean a bottle, I use one of the spares. Always have clean bottles ready for use. Better safe than sorry.:)

Know what you mean. Semi-Skimmed is terrible and does not make good anything, (My sister uses Semi Skimmed though, as it has less fat). Never heard of "Filtered" milk. Glad to see you buy British milk, like me. I have a wire 4 bottle container. I have 4 Glass Bottles now. 2 usually in fridge. When I clean a bottle, I use one of the spares. Always have clean bottles ready for use. Better safe than sorry.:)
Youve never seen cravendale milk?

My Quote of the day is
"Stand up for Glass Bottles. Because they stand up for you".:)
Ok, but plastic containers also stand up.

Unlike bags of milk, that was a weird move in the late 70's

Back