Technical Main/full beam Headlights

Currently reading:
Technical Main/full beam Headlights

Hi ever since I've had my twin air lounge 500 my main /full beam has not been significantly different from dipped.
Today I thought i'd check it out.
When I switch from dipped to full beam the main headlights don't change but the smaller lower set of (running) lights get brighter. IS this normal?

note :The running lights are significantly brighter in day mode, if that makes sense

The lower set of lights house the DRL's and the main beam bulbs

The lower lights are daylight running lights normally.

When the engine is running and you turn the lights on, the lower lights swap over to side lights. The DLR lights and the side lights are in the same bulb. In the same housing in the lower lights, there is another bulb. This is the main beam.

The upper lights are the dipped beam and the indicator lights.

So, when you have the engine running and you turn the lights on, the DLR lights go off and the side lights come on. At the same time, the upper lights come on as dipped beam.

If you change to full beam, the lower lights come on to full because there's another separate bulb in there. Meanwhile the side lights are still on and also the dipped beams. Basically, full illumination.

Regards,
Mick.

Hi ever since I've had my twin air lounge 500 my main /full beam has not been significantly different from dipped.
Today I thought i'd check it out.
When I switch from dipped to full beam the main headlights don't change but the smaller lower set of (running) lights get brighter. IS this normal?

note :The running lights are significantly brighter in day mode, if that makes sense

High beam in the 500 isn't much brighter than low beam in any case - even though you have four lights on instead of two. OK for a city car I 'spose but I've been looking at options to fit a pair of driving lights for a bit more distance.

When the engine is running and you turn the lights on, the lower lights swap over to side lights. The DLR lights and the side lights are in the same bulb. In the same housing in the lower lights, there is another bulb. This is the main beam.

So, when you have the engine running and you turn the lights on, the DLR lights go off and the side lights come on. At the same time, the upper lights come on as dipped beam.

If you change to full beam, the lower lights come on to full because there's another separate bulb in there. Meanwhile the side lights are still on and also the dipped beams. Basically, full illumination.

Regards,
Mick.
Great thats all I needed to know, its a little odd that full beam is lower down but eh ill just investigate brighter lamps.

Mick,
I was a bit confused also with the lighting scenario so thanks for the clarity...I got there in the end !
How do you find the Ring Xenon's? They seem cheap enough to give a go. I am also mid process of ordering some very white sidelight bulbs and some silver covered front indicators.
Lighting seems pretty woeful so an upgrade for winter driving is a priority for me

How do you find the Ring Xenon's? They seem cheap enough to give a go. I am also mid process of ordering some very white sidelight bulbs and some silver covered front indicators.
Couldn't care less about the sidelights because they are hardly ever used. The indicators are good enough I reckon.

The dipped beams and the full beams need to be good and bright, and the Ring bulbs I bought made a terrific difference to them. Highly recommended. I can now see where I'm going!

Cheers,
Mick.

Regards,
Mick.

Being a Fiat newbie I thought something was a bit wrong with full beam/ DRL lights but a google brought me here and it turns out all is normal. Thank you very much for the info Mick!

Back