Technical M32 Gearbox, new bearings and wrong oil!

Currently reading:
Technical M32 Gearbox, new bearings and wrong oil!

omryd

Hello everyone.
I had my M32 gearbox bearings done with the new endcase and the bigger bearings, two weeks ago.
EVerything seemed fine until I felt the gearbox was a bit too notchy.
Did some digging and found out they put the wrong oil in the box.
What is required is the Tutela Matryx, they put in the Tutela Technyx in the box.
I went right ahead and ordered 3 liters of Fuchs Titan sintofluid which is the go-to oil for this box from what I can tell online.
I've driven about 500 miles since the rebuild. new oild should arrive in a week.
Should I be worried I damaged the rebuilt gearbox?

Seriously doubt it over 500 miles; the oils are very similar.

Thank you Mattthen,
Do you think I would be safe driving it for another week until my Fuchs titan oil arrives in the mail?
Should I avoid driving it until the oil change?
It's just been rebuilt and I'd hate to prematurly damage it.
Thanks

I would use it and not worry. I also wouldn't bother swapping it straight out for Sintofluid; i'd run the oil the garage that did the work put in till at least the end of the warranty period.

Hi,
Both oils meet the Fiat specification for the M32 so there should not be an issue. If the gearbox has changed it might be worth talking to the garage.

Robert G8RPI.

Good point. Also, talk to them if its a bit notchy. A rebuilt box should work 100%. I agree the oil grade is unlikely to be an issue. AKs if they would have a problem if you add molyslip. I have found this to improve gear changes and never had an issue. I does colour the oil black though.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I agree a rebuilt box should feel smooth.
althought the difficulty in engaging 2nd gear was always there from the start, perhaps it's just how the gearbox is. Im thinking that changing to a better oil and maybe putting an additive in would solve the issue.
When cold the gearbox feels brilliant, but after about 20 mins when it reaches operating temps, it feela like its not as smooth and 2nd gear makes a clunk. The clunk existed before..
Car is so quite now, and I've grown so sensitive to high pitched noise,
every little whine that might come from the engine bay scares me to death...

Last edited:
Back