General Low mileage / servicing

Currently reading:
General Low mileage / servicing

sarah1984

I have a 59 plate Fiat 500 and last year I got a low mileage service. My service has come round again and one garage says I can have another low service mileage and the other says that I can't (I have now done 13000 miles).

I appreciate I should RTFM, and I will tonight. I'm new to the forum and not very good at searching it so I also appreciate someone may have asked it before? If anyone knows what's right (to keep my warranty in tact) I would be very grateful

Thank you

Welcome!

I am just in the process of ringing around the dealers and independants. My own feeling is, you will be looking at a full service at the end of year two, irrespective of the fact you have only done 13000 miles. It will certainly keep you within warranty. That is potentially what will happen to ours at year two end with I can pretty much guess, only 14000 miles on the clock. The reason I would go for a full service, is because I would personally want the brake fluid changing after two years, which is something that is often recommended.

Hi Sarah,

Yep, you need a proper 18k service as per the manual. Although you haven't reached the mileage yet, your brake fluid will need changing as it's 2 years old. Technically your spark plugs don't need doing yet, but it seems pointless leaving it a third year.

I had a low mileage service last year @ 7k miles, and will be getting the 18k equivalent next month (have actually done 22k, but as discussed with my dealer I don't want the 36k one yet).

Don't be fooled into thinking you need to have a 36k one; I have had one dealer quoting me that one before as it was my second service and so they couldn't do an 18k one.

This is correct. 18k mile service + Brake fluid.

If you want to shop around and supply your own parts you could easily get it done for less than 200 squid.

Maxi isnt 18k service + brake fluid exactly the same as the 36k one?

Brake fluid is a time based thing and Fiat says it should be done every 2 years.

I believe many vehicle manufacturers now advocate a brake fluid change every two years. It was (and still is for many) something that people just don't think about, either because they just don't know the significance of the safety of brake fluid, or more likely, it's a cost based decision. Personally, I like my cars to stop properly! Bit like shocks or dampers, most people never get them changed unless one actually breaks, or oil spews out or they somehow degas. The fact is, many shocks are well past their best after 40 thousand miles, but unless you're like me, you probably aint gonna stick your hand in your pocket until it breaks.

I believe many vehicle manufacturers now advocate a brake fluid change every two years. It was (and still is for many) something that people just don't think about, either because they just don't know the significance of the safety of brake fluid, or more likely, it's a cost based decision. Personally, I like my cars to stop properly! Bit like shocks or dampers, most people never get them changed unless one actually breaks, or oil spews out or they somehow degas. The fact is, many shocks are well past their best after 40 thousand miles, but unless you're like me, you probably aint gonna stick your hand in your pocket until it breaks.

Yup. To be fair I'm not the sort of person to replace stuff before it needs to be replaced. When my dampers go I'll replace them with decent ones like Koni's or Bilstein's, but I won't do it till the current ones show signs of deterioration.

I had a set replaced under warranty at 38K miles and the rear shocks on my current '09 at 8K miles are rattling at the rear on the drivers side. They're still performing and it does not bother me too much since I've only on one occassion sat in the back seat when it was being driven.:)
I'm of the opinion that you better off replacing the 2 rear ones sooner than later with better ones and not bother going through a warranty claim for fiat ones .

Yup. To be fair I'm not the sort of person to replace stuff before it needs to be replaced. When my dampers go I'll replace them with decent ones like Koni's or Bilstein's, but I won't do it till the current ones show signs of deterioration.

Thing is Maxi, and what most people don't take into account, is that damper wear is silently, stealthily invisible to most car owners. If you are like me, someone who generally keeps a car for anything up to 12 years, you can be forgiven for not noticing the gradual degradation of shocks. The old trick of bouncing down on a corner of the car these days to check for 'damper wear' lost its relevance and significance years ago and is quite frankly a waste of time. For the most part, you can't tell until you take 'em out. I had all four shocks replaced with standard Gabriel gas struts on my old Primera at 80,000 miles. The original shocks were absolutely shot, completely knackered, but you couldn't tell just by bouncing up and down on the corners. I made the decision to spend the £220 at the time to have the job done off my own back as part of a general maintenance gesture to myself. After the change, the car handled superbly, stopped more safely, the difference was remarkable.

I never bothered changing the shocks on our old Mazda MX5. That had Bilsteins on from new and in the seven and a half years we had the car, it only covered 55,000 miles anyway. I've currently got four brand new Chrysler shocks sat in the boot of my Neon. The Chrysler has done almost 70,000 miles. When I eventually decide to put it back on the road, I'll pop the new shocks on.

Thing is Maxi, and what most people don't take into account, is that damper wear is silently, stealthily invisible to most car owners. If you are like me, someone who generally keeps a car for anything up to 12 years, you can be forgiven for not noticing the gradual degradation of shocks. The old trick of bouncing down on a corner of the car these days to check for 'damper wear' lost its relevance and significance years ago and is quite frankly a waste of time. For the most part, you can't tell until you take 'em out. I had all four shocks replaced with standard Gabriel gas struts on my old Primera at 80,000 miles. The original shocks were absolutely shot, completely knackered, but you couldn't tell just by bouncing up and down on the corners. I made the decision to spend the £220 at the time to have the job done off my own back as part of a general maintenance gesture to myself. After the change, the car handled superbly, stopped more safely, the difference was remarkable.

I never bothered changing the shocks on our old Mazda MX5. That had Bilsteins on from new and in the seven and a half years we had the car, it only covered 55,000 miles anyway. I've currently got four brand new Chrysler shocks sat in the boot of my Neon. The Chrysler has done almost 70,000 miles. When I eventually decide to put it back on the road, I'll pop the new shocks on.

Well the 500 dampers are particularly poor, the top bushes on the rears go after 3 to 5 years as a best case and a few have even had the shock bodies fail MOT's on rust bubbling up. So I don't think I'll be waiting too long to replace my dampers :)

I'm kind of conscious of the fact that I've hijacked the initial thread to do with servicing by mentioning shocks, but I've just been looking through an earlier thread whereby one of the Forum members only had one shock replaced when it failed an MOT. I was utterly stunned/shocked and dismayed to see the garage only replaced the faulty shock and not both. If they'd tried that on me, I'd have gone mental!

I once took my 1984 Austin Metro into a very well known high street tyre/exhaust outlet to have the wheel alignment done. The fitter took great delight in informing me that the front shocks on my Metro needed replacing because they were worn and leaking. I asked him exactly how he was going to fit shock absorbers to the front of the car because it had hydragas/hydrolastic suspension. He squirmed almost uncontrollably, I called him an idiot to his face, paid and left. There really are some d*@ks out there!

I'm not sure who actually makes the OEM shocks for Fiats' 500?
Found a full (front/rear) Bilstein B4 Gas set for £275, which is the cheapest I can find as a decent replacement set.

Nope. The 36k mile service includes the tappets on a 1.2. Brake fluid is a time based thing and Fiat says it should be done every 2 years.
:yeahthat:

I believe many vehicle manufacturers now advocate a brake fluid change every two years. It was (and still is for many) something that people just don't think about, either because they just don't know the significance of the safety of brake fluid, or more likely, it's a cost based decision.

Had a 'face-to-face' quote with my local 'Fiat' garage on a low mileage service (the Alfa garage). My old school pal was on a 'week off' so I had to deal with his boss. Intial quote around €170+ for a low mileage. I said I only want an oil & filter change & brake fluid and I want to keep it under the hour's labour. Don't need anything else - no plugs, no filters - just oil & brake fluid. What's the best you can do ? €100+vat for the oil & filter and if you want the brake fluid another €100 so it will be €200 + vat 'all in'. Given the low mileage of 8K and it being only 2.5 years and to keep cost low for me he thought I was mad for getting the brake fluid done - you don't need to do it - its too soon. Can you not do any better ? No. Brake fluid means getting the car up on the ramp all 4 wheels off and it will take 50mins. So it's another hours work. You can always do it yourself. Anyway it's booked in this Friday morning. Haven't decided on the brake fluid. No plans to descend the alps over the next couple of months but I know it should be done.

Last edited:
Remember the reason why brake fluid changes are more important these days: ABS/ESP systems. As brake fluid is hygroscopic, the water absorbed will cause corrosion in the solenoid valves and the hydraulic pump, which = an expensive bill to replace the modulator.

Remember the reason why brake fluid changes are more important these days: ABS/ESP systems. As brake fluid is hygroscopic, the water absorbed will cause corrosion in the solenoid valves and the hydraulic pump, which = an expensive bill to replace the modulator.

I know I'm better off spending the €100+ vat on new brake fluid than a set for Ferodo 2500 pads but I had my accountants 'hat' on.:)
Just had a little chat with the OH on the phone and with the VAT increase of 2% that was leaked in Germany :mad: for the Irish budget (who is in charge now:confused:) and the 'unknown factor' if the current lower rate of 13.5% will get pushed into the higher VAT charge (23%:eek:) it will be cheaper to get it done now than next year. So I can make a saving if I keep the car.:bang:

Incidently I have the invoice for my 36k service done at 26k miles.

EXACTLY £200 for labour and for the rocker cover gasket. I'll try and work out tomorrow the exact cost including parts.

:eek: HOW MUCH!

how much is a bottle of fluid over there?

He said that the brake fluid didn't cost that much - I would guess around €10-€15. He was looking to charge me another hour's labour for the brake fluid change with typically a rate of €75 an hour. I was hoping to get 'my mate' and get the brake and the oil change done in one hour but he was off this week and I was anxious to get the job done before the 12 months was up and before the VAT increase. Tempted to get just the oil done but the hassle of going somewhere to save €50 is hardly worth it but at least I can get a proper receipt for tax purposes.

Just thought I'd plug in an update after getting the 500 1.4 serviced on Friday. By opting for a 'Low mileage' service the tick box for service is not ticked as per the attachment.
For the €200 spent I could have opted for a proper Low Mileage OR the 'Oil filter change' option with brake fluid.
When the dealer initially quoted for the 'job' he had planned using his 'own' oil (later on he told me that he uses Castrol).
On arriving I handed him a 'to do' list which was
re-alignment (flashing milage problem)
Fit a Pollen filter (none done since new - its 2.5 years old)
Selenia KPE plus a spare litre of oil for topping up
Go ahead with the brake fluid (where he protested that I was still mad)

Returned at the end of the day where he was in middle of printing out the invoice. Before taking the invoice off him I said that I hope you have looked after me. He responded by saying that I quoted you €200 + vat and I've kept it that. He continued on to say that the Selenia KPE was feckin expensive oil. I had asked him to fit a new Pollen filter (that morning) but he said he couldn't get one and would put in it next week since - it was only a 3 min job - and he would just charge €20 odd for the part.
On driving out the car felt a little difference with the engine a bit smoother. It then started to get a bit jumpy like the Sport mode on was driving in traffic. Then the 'no hill holder, etc.' came on. On the Saturday I had the triangular symbol on for most of the day (no ESP?). Thankfully it all has settled down.

When I get back later on next week I'll ask him to re-align since the flashing mileage problem which is still there. On balance I was happy enough - labour costs where re-adjusted to 1.4 hours from 2hrs and there should be room to manoeuvre next time if there is one.

Some lessons learned particularily in relation to the price of the Selenia oil and the knowledge that the 'right' oil was used.

Attachments

• Low mileage service.JPG
    Low mileage service.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 46
  • Stamp on book.JPG
    Stamp on book.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 31
Back