Tuning looking to get more low end torque

Currently reading:
Tuning looking to get more low end torque

Fitz625

Hey I'm a newbie to the Fiat family so please be a bit patient with me as I try to figure out the details. I have a 2013 500 sport (not turbo) and looking for some power/torque solutions that will increase gas mileage or keep it the same. To some of you this is a no brainer! I have always worked on my own stuff but I'm not familiar with 4 cylinder technologies. Thanks in advance!

The Mulitair is already a very advanced bit of kit, I don't think there's going to be any benefit (cost to benefit) to modding it for low end torque.

My advice would be to look at ways of loosing weight from the car (UFI is now 30kg (~60lbs) lighter than stock - spare tyre and jack delete, light weight battery, light weight stereo, alu and Ti hardware).

The ideally you'd also swap to smaller wheels and tyres, smaller 'shoes' are know to give 4MPG or more, while making the car more responsive. A light 15" wheel is a good compromise, but if you do mostly highway driving, 14" steel wheels with smooth covers are ideal.

Remember that your car uses ZERO fuel when coasting in gear. Since it has no throttle plate it's possible to coast for very long distances and essentially, about 10% of my km's are travelled FREE :D

There are companies who "chip" cars, some claim to give improved power/torque together with improved efficiency. Something you may be interested in. Google it to find somewhere local to you. Sorry I cannot recommend any as I have no experience.

Be aware that their claims should be accepted with caution, you might not see any improvement and/or driveability might be adversely affected. Warranty invalidation and insurance declaration also need to be considered.

Your new engine might loosen up with a few more miles under its belt making it feel quicker and improve economy. All good things come to those who wait!

I wouldn't bother trying to get the ecu remapped, the gains you will receive on your naturally aspirated 500 will be very minor and not worth the cost. Best way is to lose weight off the car.

If it's torque your after then perhaps you should look into fitting an induction kit. A good quality one from the likes of K&N would be a start. Although an induction kit won't give your extra horsepower (unless it's coupled to a good performance exhaust system) it will let the engine "gulp" air more easily which I've been told helps low end performance.

Years ago I had a fiat seicento which used fiats brilliant 1.1 fire engine and I fitted a cone filter and noticed it picked up on acceleration a lot better than with the old paper set up. However I'm not sure if your gas mileage will improve?

Back