500 Looking to buy a 500 next

Currently reading:
500 Looking to buy a 500 next

But off the track, in day to day motoring, with ease of access and sheer convenience, combined with a wonderfully responsive engine that puts a smile on your face just popping down to the shops - the TA is real fun, and I think this is what is meant. I've driven a whole host of wonderful cars in my life and the only other car that put a similar smile on my face was the Citroen SM. That was astonishing as much as fun, because nothing had, or has, such a combination of sublime suspension comfort and amazing performance and utility. I like utility :D I'll bet the Ferrari FF can't be driven with the two nearside wheels on the grassy bank of a road, and deal with the ditches and lumps at 80mph without any sensation inside the car... wow! That was amazing. And fun.

An Elise is a pain to get into, is too low for daily convenience, ie. visibility, and the novelty of such dedicated sports cars soon wears off.

Fun on the track, doubtless, but the TA is fun every day. I think that's the point.
If people are so besotted with the twinair then I feel sorry for them as if it's the most fun car they've driven, then their car history must be pretty dire!

Don't get me wrong, if the ta was available when we ordered then I'd have that, but I've driven cars which were more fun to drive.

My 504 could be driven at stupid speeds over rough terrain without breaking a nail, our Legacy Turbo will go from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, it's comfy, quieter than the 500 when you're just pootling along, the ride is better, it's as surefooted as a mountain goat. I test drove a 3.2 V6 Alfa GT once, it sounded absolutely gorgeous, had steering feel to die for and it made lovely noises (worth saying twice).

Don't get me wrong, I like the 500, hell I love our 500 and unlike the majority of people on here, it didn't go at the end of the finance period and we'll own it till it's scrapped, but it's not the most fun car to drive in the world, not by a long shot!

But come on, they aren't particularly fast, don't handle brilliantly (not appallingly bad or anything), the steering isn't particularly talkative.......

Just going off what someone else owns on here, I'd say jnoiles Lotus Elise is a far more fun car to drive.

The time we spent together in that car on the track together..... well..... it was just special :p

Exactly, 'on the track', If you read my post again you'll notice I didn't say it was fast or brilliantly balanced just that it was fun within legal limits. I drove a John cooper works mini before I got my twin air and I would take the twin air every time for day to day use with a smile on my face. The JCW mini would be great on a track but in my opinion its not a good car to use every day as you would always be tempted to use it as JCW intended.

My problem with the Elise is getting in and out of them, especially with the 'roof' on. I am not the smallest person in the world and rolling out into a puddle in my best bib and tucker is not a good look. :D

Oops, I've only been here 5 minutes and look what I've started!

I may as well chip in on what's "fun" for me.
"Fun" is subjective, what's fun for one person at one point in their life is not fun for another. Your definition of fun may change over the course of your life or it may stay the same.

e.g. I spent almost 10 years in the motor trade I "owned" a lot of cars, often just driving a car for a couple of weeks and selling it. I've had the privilege to temporarily own some really great cars, some were awesome AND fun, some were just awesome.
Among the more interesting ones were - Porsche 911 (wide bodied), Porsche 928 S2, MGB GT V8, several MGBs, Ferrari 308 GTB (that was awesome but not fun, it didn't like starting warm!), Jaguar mk2, Jaguar E type V12 (only 2 days!).
Most of those were fun yes, but probably wouldn't be for long term ownership, the fun wears off.

Of the more fun daily drivers, for me, it's usually small cars - several mini's (classic), Peugeot 205 1.9 Gti, 205 1.8 diesel, Golf VR6 highline, Golf GTi Mk1, MR2 turbo (import) and as it's appropriate here 2x Uno turbo's, LHD Tipo GT 1.8 16v (I worked at a Fiat dealer at the time), the current Cooper S and last but not least, I do love the Volvo 480, had 3 of those!

Most of those are pretty quick cars and fast cars used to be fun, all that's kind of worn off for me now though and I if think back to the most fun I had pottering around in normal traffic and not on the open road, it's the classic mini.

If they still made them, I'd probably have another but they don't and the prices for a car which will ultimately rot out around you in the UK when used as a daily driver are ridiculous.

So, what I want to find is a car that comes close to the nippy-if-not-fast chuck-ability of the old mini, has looks that appeal and fits within budget - nothing like a challenge eh?

The 500 fits on looks and from my test drive it certainly bounces along like the old mini used to. :D The downsides - my wife doesn't like them and well, the ideal car of my dreams probably just doesn't exist anymore with the weight and safety improvements of modern cars.

Last edited:
"Fun" is subjective, what's fun for one person at one point in their life is not fun for another. Your definition of fun may change over the course of your life or it may stay the same.

Cracking quote. I could not agree more. You must be getting on a bit, just like me:)

The Elise is great fun. For most of my journeys I carry myself and a laptop to work and back so the compromises aren't too bad for me.

That said, I also drive Isabella the 500 a lot because she puts a smile on my face in a completely different way to the Elise. Chuckable, tweaked enough to get the most out of her and I've done enough miles now that I can really throw her around.

And on winter mornings when it's minus degrees and pouring with rain the notion of driving a car that weighs nothing on a motorway full of lorries and high cross winds is no fun.

I really like the 1.4 sport, however the engine note is a bit lacking if compared to the TA. I am contemplating just hanging on until I can afford a TA instead.

Alternatively, a Skoda Fabia VRS has come up locally which price wise would almost be a straight swap with my Cooper S. That would solve the long distance hand ache irritation and I could then afford to put some money aside for a 500 in a year or two where I'll have more of a selection.

I think the decision will be most likely based on the condition of the VRS, I know I like them, I bought one just before the mini but on my way to collect it, the dealer put it sideways into a country hedge and it didn't look quite as nice with all the primer showing down one side.:bang:

I like the Fabia VRS but its not quite got as much style or retro vibe as Mini or 500 (in my opinion)

I like the Fabia VRS but its not quite got as much style or retro vibe as Mini or 500 (in my opinion)

I agree on both points, I've not completely decided yet.

I'd effectively have a free change of car (something different) while saving up for something else and they don't lose money. In fact, they've actually gone up in value since I bought the mini instead.:eek:

If it's not up to scratch it's back to plan A for sure but I may as well look as there aren't any of the particular 500's I'm looking for around at the moment.

Last edited:
I agree on both points, I've not completely decided yet.

I'd effectively have a free change of car (something different) while saving up for something else and they don't lose money. In fact, they've actually gone up in value since I bought the mini instead.:eek:

If it's not up to scratch it's back to plan A for sure but I may as well look as there aren't any of the particular 500's I'm looking for around at the moment.

You are right about them not losing much money, my neighbour had one for a few years and when he sold it he told me it was least money he lost on any car he ever owned.

Last edited:
Oops, I've only been here 5 minutes and look what I've started!

I may as well chip in on what's "fun" for me.

e.g. I spent almost 10 years in the motor trade I "owned" a lot of cars, often just driving a car for a couple of weeks and selling it. I've had the privilege to temporarily own some really great cars, some were awesome AND fun, some were just awesome.
Among the more interesting ones were - Porsche 911 (wide bodied), Porsche 928 S2, MGB GT V8, several MGBs, Ferrari 308 GTB (that was awesome but not fun, it didn't like starting warm!), Jaguar mk2, Jaguar E type V12 (only 2 days!).
Most of those were fun yes, but probably wouldn't be for long term ownership, the fun wears off.

Of the more fun daily drivers, for me, it's usually small cars - several mini's (classic), Peugeot 205 1.9 Gti, 205 1.8 diesel, Golf VR6 highline, Golf GTi Mk1, MR2 turbo (import) and as it's appropriate here 2x Uno turbo's, LHD Tipo GT 1.8 16v (I worked at a Fiat dealer at the time), the current Cooper S and last but not least, I do love the Volvo 480, had 3 of those!

Most of those are pretty quick cars and fast cars used to be fun, all that's kind of worn off for me now though and I if think back to the most fun I had pottering around in normal traffic and not on the open road, it's the classic mini.

If they still made them, I'd probably have another but they don't and the prices for a car which will ultimately rot out around you in the UK when used as a daily driver are ridiculous.

So, what I want to find is a car that comes close to the nippy-if-not-fast chuck-ability of the old mini, has looks that appeal and fits within budget - nothing like a challenge eh?

The 500 fits on looks and from my test drive it certainly bounces along like the old mini used to. :D The downsides - my wife doesn't like them and well, the ideal car of my dreams probably just doesn't exist anymore with the weight and safety improvements of modern cars.

Hi - I get where your notion of a 'fun' car is coming from. I think some people on here are confusing it with performance. The 500 (in almost any guise) is the closest thing on the road currently to the original Mini's in terms of driving experience IMHO. It is small, the driving position is similar, it is nippy, and fun can be had well within the confines of the performance envelope without troubling the speed limits. The 1.2 engine (although only 69bhp) responds well to being driven hard with plenty of revs and really suits the character of the car. It really does put a smile on your face every time you drive - even though it has obvious faults such as the lack of steering feel and the sometimes choppy ride which can feel crashy and 'wobbly' over bumps. But this actually adds to the character of the car and adds to the comparisons with the original Mini, which also had it's limitations. Add to this the fact that it's a relatively cheap ownership prospect (low running costs and low depreciation) and has the same classless appeal as the original Mini and it's not hard to see why it's selling as a well as it is!

It is small, the driving position is similar, it is nippy, and fun can be had well within the confines of the performance envelope without troubling the speed limits. The 1.2 engine (although only 69bhp) responds well to being driven hard with plenty of revs and really suits the character of the car. It really does put a smile on your face every time you drive - even though it has obvious faults such as the lack of steering feel and the sometimes choppy ride which can feel crashy and 'wobbly' over bumps. But this actually adds to the character of the car and adds to the comparisons with the original Mini, which also had it's limitations.

You could say exactly the same about the Panda, yet it isn't selling despite being around £3k cheaper. So there must be more to it than that. IMO it's looks & fashionability that are primarily driving 500 sales.

The 500 has both by the bucketload & I often hear folks (usually ladies, fortunately) saying "Like the car - it's really cute". :)

I've never had anyone say that as I was climbing out of the Panda. :(

The 500 is also one of the very few 'status-free' cars, which I really like. The Mini used to have this attribute in the early days, but it's become a bit of an estate agents car now.

Add to this the fact that it's a relatively cheap ownership prospect (low running costs and low depreciation) and has the same classless appeal as the original Mini and it's not hard to see why it's selling as a well as it is!

That's true if you're buying new, but if you buy a 5yr old one, you'll likely have neither low running costs nor low depreciation.

Buying a used 500 looks to me a lot like buying into a Ponzi scheme & IMO anyone who'd pay £7k for a 5yr old car that could be bought new for £12k is delusional. That £7k car could easily cost another £7k in servicing & repairs over the next 5yrs and you'll be lucky to get £1k for it once it's 10yrs old.

Having owned & maintained one for 3 1/2 yrs now, I can tell you all one thing for certain - these cars are NOT built to last. They may not rust through like Fiats of old, but there are many equally expensive potential issues which could effectively put your 10yr old car off the road.

In fairness, the same could be said for most similarly priced current model cars. The difference is that once they're 5yrs old, they can often be picked up for a quarter of the price of a new one.

Last edited:
You could say exactly the same about the Panda, yet it isn't selling despite being around £3k cheaper. So there must be more to it than that. IMO it's looks & fashionability that are primarily driving 500 sales.

The 500 has both by the bucketload & I often hear folks (usually ladies, fortunately) saying "Like the car - it's really cute". :)

I've never had anyone say that as I was climbing out of the Panda. :(

The 500 is also one of the very few 'status-free' cars, which I really like. The Mini used to have this attribute in the early days, but it's become a bit of an estate agents car now.

That's true if you're buying new, but if you buy a 5yr old one, you'll likely have neither low running costs nor low depreciation.

Buying a used 500 looks to me a lot like buying into a Ponzi scheme & IMO anyone who'd pay £7k for a 5yr old car that could be bought new for £12k is delusional. That £7k car could easily cost another £7k in servicing & repairs over the next 5yrs and you'll be lucky to get £1k for it once it's 10yrs old.

Having owned & maintained one for 3 1/2 yrs now, I can tell you all one thing for certain - these cars are NOT built to last. They may not rust through like Fiats of old, but there are many equally expensive potential issues which could effectively put your 10yr old car off the road.

In fairness, the same could be said for most similarly priced current model cars. The difference is that once they're 5yrs old, they can often be picked up for a quarter of the price of a new one.

Hi JrKirching, could you please give us a list of what you think these issues might be?

I think it would be very helpful to the forum. Thanks!

The 500 (in almost any guise) is the closest thing on the road currently to the original Mini's in terms of driving experience IMHO. It is small, the driving position is similar,

Well, no. The driving position in the 500 is nothing like the one in the original Mini. That was terminally uncomfortable, with the relationship between the seat pedals, wheel and gearlever, particularly the gearlever, impossible to get genuinely comfortable with. And you sat on the floor, whereas in the 500 you sit nice and high, on a comfortable seat and it is possible for the majority of people to get comfortable.

I remember in the sixties, when BL churned out masses of very pretty, Farina designed, 1100 and 1300s which again were built very low. Fiat produced the fantastic little ?????, which was a gem to drive and built sensibly high, and it did very well around Europe and here. Fiat commented that they didn't like the low-set cars built by BL, because they basically weren't comfortable.

The 500 (in almost any guise) is the closest thing on the road currently to the original Mini's in terms of driving experience IMHO. It is small, the driving position is similar,

Well, no. The driving position in the 500 is nothing like the one in the original Mini. That was terminally uncomfortable, with the relationship between the seat, pedals, wheel and gearlever, particularly the wheel, impossible to get genuinely comfortable with. And you sat on the floor, whereas in the 500 you sit nice and high, on a great seat and it is possible for the majority of people to get comfortable.

I remember in the sixties, when BL churned out masses of very pretty, Farina designed, 1100 and 1300s which again were built very low. Fiat produced the fantastic little 128, which was a gem to drive and built sensibly high, and it did very well around Europe and here. Fiat commented that they didn't like the low-set cars built by BL, because they basically weren't comfortable and lacked space.

Last edited:
Back