Looking for a Bravo HLX

Currently reading:
Looking for a Bravo HLX

J

Jim

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but have been driving Fiats ever since I passed my test about 12 years ago. I'm in the market for a Bravo at the moment and I'm looking for an HLX (either 1.6 or 1.8) I would love to get an HGT but I just don't think I can afford the running costs at the moment.

Just wondered if anyone can advise me if the 1.6 and 1.8 engines have variators on them? I can't find any reference to this (except for on the HGT) but I know that the 1.8 Fiat Barchetta engine has them. The reason I ask is that I went to look at a Bravo last week that sounded like a tractor on startup. Gave it some revs and the noise went, but as soon as it came back down to idle it sounded like a diesel. It was a bit hesitant pulling away from a standing start, and there didnt seem to be much grunt when I put my foot down. Seems like the symptoms of a worn variator to me, but I have no experience with this engine.

Anyway, I thought this might be the place to find a definitive answer on this. Also if anyone can recommend what else to look out for when buying one of these that would be great. Even better if there's someone out there who would like to sell a well-looked-after example to a fellow fiat enthusiast! ;)

Thanks, Jim

Hi simon - that's very tempting indeed , but i'm after something in the sub-£1000 category at the moment.

Going back to my original question, it seems that the Bravo 1.8 does not have a variator (and hence the reason why power output is less than the barchetta and punto hgt).

So, can anyone suggest why the car ?I saw was making such a racket at low revs? The only thing I can think of is that the cambelt was catching on the plastic cover. But it seemed too loud to be that. Could it be a loose exhaust manifold maybe?

Any ideas greatly appreciated, as the car is still for sale, and I might still buy it if it would be simple/cheap to rectify the problem.

Thanks,

Jim

That's ok Jim, fully understand. Would sell to a Bravo enthusiast for £1000 minimum but £1250 minimum to mere mortals! Good luck with your quest. Simon

We do have a full buyers guide above

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/buy-a-bravo.htm

is the direct link.

The 1.8 WAS the top engine... unfortunately it didn't really give the Bravo much "hot hatch" performance... very warm but not HOT.

The 1.6 is a cracking engine and the 1.8 is bomb proof... both have problems but so do they all

DON'T GET A 1.4 12V OR A 1.9 75TD!!!!!!!

The 1.8 should sound throaty but smoooooooth... if it sounds like it's been driven hard and revved to high heaven... then it has! The 1.8 was never as quick as expected so many owners treated them hard to make them move!

I'm biased as I'm thinking of selling my Yellow HGT... but after having a 1.4, 1.9 JTD, 2.0 20v Turbo.... a perfect 155HGT was the only car I wanted.

Have a read through the guide, if your thinking 1.8 cos of fuel economy then the HGT is the same, plus you get a 5 cylinder burble.

Cambelts need changing every 4 years, you MUST have the red key. check the under-tray, lots have massive holes in them or missing after high speed speed bump encounters!

Shouldn't have any rust... rubber door handles perish in the sun, sun roofs tend to leak so get air con!

oh, and if you do fancy a YELLOW HGT, mines under £1000 ;)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg