Technical Lock Set Change

Currently reading:
Technical Lock Set Change

JamieSMcC

Hi folks, first post on here - looking for advice.

My sister in law has a 2008 1.2 Grande Punto. Unfortunately at the weekend she was broken into and had her keys and handbag stolen. I reckon the keys have been chucked, however who knows who will get a hold of them... however for her peace of mind I’m looking to do a complete lock change.

Looking at eBay I’m assuming I need to get the correct ECU and BCM for the 1.2 with the clocks and locks. Most of these only come with 1 key. Is it easy enough to have a 2nd key coded via a cable and software or will this need to go to locksmith?

Also will changing the full lock set need any additional programming into the car? Assuming the only issue I may have is the mileage being incorrect?

I am very much a home mechanic, so don’t want to take anything on too technical, but if it’s like for like swaps I don’t think I’ll have too much hassle.

Any help guidance tips or tricks from someone who has done this in the past would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Jamie

If you get the ECU from another vechicle it’s not easy to get a new key coded, as you’d need the code card from fiat, and therefore would have to know exactly what car the replacement ECU had come from.

Does she not have key cover on her insurance, because this can get very costly?

Ah right, need to watch that then.

Her insurance will give her £300 to replace the locks, but not the keys... however that works I don’t know.

Problem is with the corona we can’t get a locksmith...

My advice to a customer would be " due to the value of the car, I would just have existing remote key and the new remote key re-programmed back into the car".
The stolen key will open the car manually but the remote wont work plus it wont start the car.
If you were coming to me, I would charge £150 total for this.

Back