Technical lleft side hand brake cable

Currently reading:
Technical lleft side hand brake cable

Has anyone got a guide for replacing the passenger side hand brake cable? There seems to be a heat shield that needs to be removed to route the cable but I'm not sure how to :confused:get at its fixings (from inside the car?)

Last edited:
The heat shield fixings are accessed from under the car. Some of the fixings are screws and some are push on, twist off clips.

Attachments

• Heat Shield.JPG
    Heat Shield.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 22
Jim, I did this just yesterday and used a technique a fellow forumer suggested of taping the new cable to the caliper end of the old and pull it through.
You will need to unclip 2 cable retaining clips that are underneath the heat shield but these can be accessed (just) without removing it.

Thanks everyone for your help. Had a good look at the left cable today and it seems to be moving freely in its casing. I put a lot of silicone grease onto the cable at the caliper end and worked it in and out of its casing to mke sure it was not going to seize up any time soon. I'm still getting a bit of binding (not too serious) on the rear left wheel but suspect now it is a worn caliper which I will replace shortly.

Not sure that greasing the cable is a good idea. The inner cable has a nylon coating... grease is know to soften nylon causing it to swell which, over time, could cause it to stick in the outer cable.

Silicone grease should be fine, it doesn't have the same effect as normal grease. It's too late now anyway!!!

Back