Little Bolt On the Accellerator Peddle

Currently reading:
Little Bolt On the Accellerator Peddle

S

Sweenpole

Okay, i was hoovering my car out the other day and noticed on the bottom of the accelerator, there is a bolt that come in contact with a small plate on the floor.

I was just wondering, is this a really cheap way of limiting speed or if i take it off, will it destroy my car never to be used again?

Andrew

Bolt

If your car has no throttle cable, the bolt is probably to stop any strain on the potentiometer.

The plate on the floor is for trapping a car mat underneath!!!! If you have gone to the trouble of designing a car with an ECU and fairly advanced control systems I don't think you would limit speed this way.

Andy

total ********!

that plate is nothing to do with holding down a car mat! The last place on earth you want a car mat is underneath the accelerator peddle.
That "plate" is to give you a definate stop when you floor it - that is all. If you remove it all you'll do is stretch the cable.
Regards

Re: total ********!

It is for trapping a car mat in order to prevent the mat moving and jamming the accelerator pedal. I have had this happen and nearly totalled a car because of it, the garage explained why cars have the mats fixed in place and it was to prevent this.

You don't need a definate stop there when you have a chassis underneath you!!!!

Andy

Re: Re: total ********!

i thought that thing was adjustable under the accelerator to adjust how far the pedal will push down?

Dont think its anything to do with car mats?

FAO AndyP

Andy mate, you are wrong.
The mat retainers are at the other end of the mat - I repeat, you would not want a mat anywhere near the accelerator pedal. Yes, I agree that there is a chassis under the pedal to stop it, but what about all that spongy carpet??
If you "trapped" a mat under the item in question, it would raise it's height and reduce the amount of travel on the pedal itself!
Whoever told you that it is a mat retainer is incorrect - sorry.
Regards,

Re: FAO AndyP

my car mats screw into the carpet at the other end to the pedals so they cant move.

Im sure the bolt under the pedal and the plastic piece it connects with on the carpet are to prevent the cable being overly stretched.

Cable streching

We had those in Army landrovers, and belive me, they didnt come with carpets:)

Re: Cable streching

I was told by me mechanic that the bolt is there so that you can loosen it to stop the pedal going as far down and thereby limit the revs.

In fact he told me he'd seen a few that had been done on womens cars where they'd bought a reasonably powerful car and obviously the dealer thought that they wouldn't be able to handle it... ! Then they'd taken it to him to see why it was a bit sluggish...