Technical Limp mode after cambelt change

Currently reading:
Technical Limp mode after cambelt change

JHG123

Just changed the cambelt on my panda easy 1.2 (319) and replaced rusty sump. Started up fine running smoothly but on test drive after a few miles it dropped into limp mode with yellow engine light on.

Fine on restart but few miles on same again.

Sure timing is spot on as I used lock kit and tippex so belt went on exactly where old one came off.

Problem is I cannot read any ECU messages

Just changed the cambelt on my panda easy 1.2 (319) and replaced rusty sump. Started up fine running smoothly but on test drive after a few miles it dropped into limp mode with yellow engine light on.

Fine on restart but few miles on same again.

Sure timing is spot on as I used lock kit and tippex so belt went on exactly where old one came off.

Problem is I cannot read any ECU messages

You need to perform a relearn with VVT motors ;)

See the post from @AppleFarmer about similar job :)

Yes I read this and tried revving it to a constant 3k 3 times and then switch off bit to no avail.

Am I missing something?

Yes I read this and tried revving it to a constant 3k 3 times and then switch off bit to no avail.

Am I missing something?

Was the engine up to temperature correctly?

Did you rev to 6000 rpm and let drop to idle rpm and repeat twice more?

Or 3000 rpm as your post?

Yes it was up to temp but I only revved it to 3000.

Presume I also need the full copy of MES to do this as ecu needs to be set in adjustment mode?

Was the engine up to temperature correctly?

Did you rev to 6000 rpm and let drop to idle rpm and repeat twice more?

Or 3000 rpm as your post?

Try the revving procedure at correct temperature . If you are lucky it may work and job done.

Please let us know if it works.

You state you can't read ecu codes, is that because code reader won't connect or because you don't have code reader?

Try the revving procedure at correct temperature . If you are lucky it may work and job done.

You state you can't read ecu codes, is that because code reader won't connect or because you don't have code reader?

Hi yes I downloaded MES and bought a bluetooth ODBii adapter which all connects fine but after a half hour scan it still lists all four default ecus and I cannot enable a connection to any of them.

I will give the revving procedure another go. I will let you know how I get on.

Hi,
I can't help much with you mes connection issues but,
With everything connected and mes first on can you press the search for interface button bottom left of screen?
Does your computer auto detect interface?

Just to round this off, I never got the bluetooth connector to work so bought a specific, modified for Fiat usb cable from ebay. I then bit the bullet and bought a full version of the mes software. Performed the phonic wheel reset and now no more limp mode. Have done a few hundred miles since and all good. Very many thanks for advice and guidance recieved.

This would seem to reinforce my hunch that you need to set the system up with something like MES before doing the reving up procedure. I don't think you can necessarily guarantee that reving to 6,000 rpm and return to idle then repeat twice more - ie. rev up 3 times - without doing the initial setup that MES allows will result in a phonic wheel relearn. However I've seen posts where people have reported success after observing their MIL flashing accompanied by a reduction in perfomance/limp mode. MES states in it's instructions (right of screen in Phonic wheel relearn page) that the MIL will be flashing after doing the setup procedure, and I think these people have success because their ECU is already expecting to receive new info. If the MIL is not flashing then I don't think the relearn will work? What I don't understand is why some people seem to have their MIL flashing without using something like MES to initiate this.

This would seem to reinforce my hunch that you need to set the system up with something like MES before doing the reving up procedure. I don't think you can necessarily guarantee that reving to 6,000 rpm and return to idle then repeat twice more - ie. rev up 3 times - without doing the initial setup that MES allows will result in a phonic wheel relearn. However I've seen posts where people have reported success after observing their MIL flashing accompanied by a reduction in perfomance/limp mode. MES states in it's instructions (right of screen in Phonic wheel relearn page) that the MIL will be flashing after doing the setup procedure, and I think these people have success because their ECU is already expecting to receive new info. If the MIL is not flashing then I don't think the relearn will work? What I don't understand is why some people seem to have their MIL flashing without using something like MES to initiate this.
I think it must be set up to expect the changes. It set my eml to flash and once completed it went off. I had tried to do the relearn without the set up and it didn't work.

Back