IMG_1160.jpeg

Lexus CT200h Sport

My fifth car and hopefully in the running for the longest-owned title...

Introduction

Bought on a whim in January 2024 as it was local, heavily discounted and from a fear born out of the uncertainty from the BMW engine in the Avensis' longevity...

It just won over the idea of buying a new Panda because of safety worries having a small child in now most of the time (particularly on the long journeys)

Diesel inefficiency of the Avensis was also costing quite a lot - it became difficult to justify all the short, pointless and/or fun trips here and there.
Before I submit to a service at the dealer (for that ten year warranty thing while I can) I thought I'd take the opportunity to service this covering every single service item upfront so that going forward, it's just oil changes and the seldom changed other item as per the schedule. First 3 years - Lexus serviced on the record. Last 3... by a Toyota dealer which according to Lexus doesn't count as a dealer service for the car. It's unclear what they actually did versus what they managed to log on the system, and as they'd lied to my over the Avensis brake fluid change why take the risk?

Everything changed: oil, filter, spark plugs, coolant (for engine and inverter), transmission fluid, wipers, fuel system cleaner added to a full tank of petrol, stone chip repair kit, brake fluid change and engine air filter / cabin filter.

Not without difficulty: the oil filter has a special tool required, took about 45 minutes trying to get that off without the tool (ordered one since). Spark plugs down a very long channel and took a while to carefully get out and in. Liquid pump for the transmission fluid, very difficult due to cheap little pump with a bend in the tube on both ends, sucking air half the time... then the drain plug gushed out with pressure, directly into a bar... which spread the flow wide all over the tools and garage floor, managing to completely miss the pan.. Other than that things went smoothly. Got there in the end.

All genuine parts / fluids as well (well, as you can see, largely Toyota branded but that's how they come).

Booked in for a 'hybrid battery health check' at Lexus next week too... to be safe. That's about the only thing I can't do myself.

Now it's just oil and filter changes which I plan to do every 5,000 using the Toyota/Lexus oil.

I think this was wise to do upfront versus splitting it into a bunch of jobs across the year. The parts are surprisingly all very reasonably priced, easy to find and mostly standard procedure to fit. These things can allegedly do 300,000 miles plus if looked after - imagine that.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpeg
    IMG_1895.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
Back