Technical Leak into passenger footwell

Currently reading:
Technical Leak into passenger footwell

Mrmoo28

Hello, we have an issue on our 2012 Fiat Punto TwinAir, which started roughly after being serviced at the start of August.

First we noticed a very odd smell was appearing in the car, kind of like a uriney smell (we have a cat and had recently taken it to the vets and thought maybe it had done it!). This then followed after a few weeks with a leak of water (or a clear liquid anyway) into the passenger footwell, coming from under the vent on the right of the footwell. This has happened sporadically, and we've tried a multitude of tests to find out where it's coming from and under what conditions.

we took it back to the garage and they replaced the pollon filter again, this did not solve it and the garage said without a proper look it must be the heater matrix, and only Fiat can fix it. After some Googling people seemed to suggest if it was that we wouldn't get heat from the blowers (we do) and the coolant level would be dropping (it hasn't).

Today we noticed a bit of mist/vapour coming from the face level blowers, however no water leak despite having the blowers and air con on for most of two 45 minute journeys. We then thought maybe it's a drain block that is somehow being backed up and spelling somehow into the car. So we poured water down the windscreen and noticed that a pool of water was in the footwell. Perhaps coincidence though as we mopped it up tried again and nothing.

We then took the plastic trim off from the centre console in the passenger footwell, and went for a drive. After maybe 2 minutes of having the blowers on (no air con) water started leaking into the footwell. Stopping the car and looking it appears to be dripping down from a white plastic box of sorts directly behind the dash at the bottom (approx behind the heater control dials). Does anyone know what this white box is - is he heater matrix housed inside it?

Fiat have quoted to repair a faulty heater matrix 380 if they don't need to remove the dash, 800 if they do :/

Thanks!

Photos:
j1fq8gbsr

https://postimg.org/image/j1fq8gbsr

gq133eo8b

https://postimg.org/image/gq133eo8b

Last edited:
O.K. if it's clear water then it's not coolant which is usually orange or pink these days so that proves it's not the heater matrix. The most likely source is that the bulkhead drains are blocked and there is a build-up of water in the bulkhead area which is overflowing through the fresh air intake to the heater. Not having a Punto to hand means I can't check the location of the drains but they are usually at the rear of the engine bay either side, failing that try to have a look through the grille in the wiper area. It's basic stuff really and the first thing I usually look for - in fact I clear them as matter of course when I service a car - but many garages miss it. I presume you are miles away from me?

Hello, we have an issue on our 2012 Fiat Punto TwinAir, which started roughly after being serviced at the start of August.

First we noticed a very odd smell was appearing in the car, kind of like a uriney smell (we have a cat and had recently taken it to the vets and thought maybe it had done it!). This then followed after a few weeks with a leak of water (or a clear liquid anyway) into the passenger footwell, coming from under the vent on the right of the footwell. This has happened sporadically, and we've tried a multitude of tests to find out where it's coming from and under what conditions.
We then took the plastic trim off from the centre console in the passenger footwell, and went for a drive. After maybe 2 minutes of having the blowers on (no air con) water started leaking into the footwell. Stopping the car and looking it appears to be dripping down from a white plastic box of sorts directly behind the dash at the bottom (approx behind the heater control dials). Does anyone know what this white box is - is he heater matrix housed inside it?

Fiat have quoted to repair a faulty heater matrix 380 if they don't need to remove the dash, 800 if they do :/

Thanks!

Photos:
j1fq8gbsr

https://postimg.org/image/j1fq8gbsr

gq133eo8b

https://postimg.org/image/gq133eo8b

Hi,
put some kitchen towel down on the carpet.. you'll soon see if it's clear or coloured,
look under the bonnet, you coolant should be a pinky RED

Charlie -2012 TA owner

Back