Lacquer over spray

Currently reading:
Lacquer over spray

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
Hi

I have what appears to be lacquer over spray on my windscreen and side windows from a recent bumper and side skirt respray.

Is there anything I can use to remove this. It is quite annoying in bright sunlight as it looks like I have a dirty windscreen.

Parts of the bodywork also feel rough like sandpaper from this.

I have had the company out 4 times already to get the paintwork done to an acceptable standard and correct colour. When I tried to explain this to them they were less than interested and didn't seem to know what to do about it.

I strongly urge you all not to use "Up 2 Scratch" after my experience with them (http://www.up-2-scratch.co.uk/).

Thanks

Last edited:
Clay bay gets paint overspray off, so I'm sure it'll remove clear coat too.

They came back today and removed it from all of the glass with some fine wire wool which has done the job. They are going to come back and machine polish the car I am told when it is clean as it was too dirty to do.

Not sure if clay will shift laquer overspray - maybe an aggressive one - but this could cause marring.

Try a de-nibbler if not - takes some balls to use on your own car but they work!

They did well to get overspray on the windows from that job haha, take it was a quality bodyshop? Best thing to use on glass for any stubborn marks etc is wire wool :)

A man in a van type set up but very reputable company in the area. Eventually I was given a full refund + £200 to have it "professionally" polished. A result really as the paint work is now spot on and I'm £200 up. They were also buying my silence to avoid a negative checkatrade review I am led to believe as this is what instigated the initial refund.

However the money has now gone towards a new Lambda sensor and cam belt change :(

A man in a van type set up but very reputable company in the area. Eventually I was given a full refund + £200 to have it "professionally" polished. A result really as the paint work is now spot on and I'm £200 up. They were also buying my silence to avoid a negative checkatrade review I am led to believe as this is what instigated the initial refund.

However the money has now gone towards a new Lambda sensor and cam belt change :(

Result! Nice outcome even if there was an ulterior motive :) reputation is everything in this game :) would you use them again?

Result! Nice outcome even if there was an ulterior motive :) reputation is everything in this game :) would you use them again?

Definitely not, one bad experience is one too many for me!

They seemed to find it particularly difficult to spray one side of a Bravo bumper and struggled with matching Maserati Blue. The first time they did it next to a dust extraction unit at work therefore the side skirts felt like 80 grit sand paper! They only covered the boot lid and side wing (where the fuel cap is) with polythene so each time the lacquer went all over the place. One guy was putting his drill with polishing head attachment on the ground side down on the Tarmac and his cloths were filthy causing swirling in his "finished" work. What got me was his claims of working regularly for a BMW showroom and preparing a lot of their second hand cars!

For a reputable firm they didn't strike me at all as being appropriately skilled. However they were determined to sort it out and didn't give up until I was satisfied which is commendable.

Are you in this line of work?

Last edited:
Definitely not, one bad experience is one too many for me!

They seemed to find it particularly difficult to spray one side of a Bravo bumper and struggled with matching Maserati Blue. The first time they did it next to a dust extraction unit at work therefore the side skirts felt like 80 grit sand paper! They only covered the boot lid and side wing (where the fuel cap is) with polythene so each time the lacquer went all over the place. One guy was putting his drill with polishing head attachment on the ground side down on the Tarmac and his cloths were filthy causing swirling in his "finished" work. What got me was his claims of working regularly for a BMW showroom and preparing a lot of their second hand cars!

For a reputable firm they didn't strike me at all as being appropriately skilled. However they were determined to sort it out and didn't give up until I was satisfied which is commendable.

Are you in this line of work?

Sounds like a very rough company! Polishing with a drill? That's a new one haha. BMW probably gave him a job, saw how poor his work is and didn't ask him back! In my experience the better the car company the higher their acceptable standards are! At least they tried to put it right if nothing else. Yeah I'm a painter/detailer.

Back