Technical Koni FSD rear shock rattle.. Shock!

Currently reading:
Technical Koni FSD rear shock rattle.. Shock!

If they're not an off the shelf part they probably won't supply, but might possibly be able to point you in the direction of some that can.

I've just got this reply and I think this means just the shipping cost -

"the cost of package would be 200,00 zł PLN to the 0,5kg package.Yours is 0,3kg
time of delivery 3-4 days.
I will write it to the invoice as a next position if You order these goods.
All the payments should be in polish zloty PLN
We start producing Your goods after You pay pro forma invoice"

The cost I got for the bolts & washers worked out at 146.70 zioty PLN

1 Polish Zioty = .20 pounds sterling. So cost is £69.34. Not sure if VAT then has to be added to this.

Maybe we should investigate a UK source?

I just got a reply also - same cost for the goods but the shipping is 250 zl (for 4 bolts !!!) hummmmmmm

Question - they said the material was galvanised zinc .......... which is a coating so I am unsure as what is a base material. Anyone know ??

Interesting I had our 500 rear Konis replaced the other Month with the new model/part number rear shock and they are so much better.

I had my fourth set of Konis fitted six weeks ago and they are as rattly as ever - possibly the rattliest set yet!

Shoddy service, surely after 4 sets they'd take a step back and think that something was wrong, clots!

They certainly ought to be looking into this bolt idea but I've not heard that they are. Would save them a fortune in the long run.

Looking at the parts system here at work, GE Tools do some extremely similar bolts. I'd give them a call, i reckon they'd probably be able to get them for you quickish.

They certainly ought to be looking into this bolt idea but I've not heard that they are. Would save them a fortune in the long run.

This is not a sig at you i promise, but do you understand why I'm not quite so trusting of dealers and the info they provide?

I definitely think sourcing a UK bolt supplier is the way to go, just to avoid language confusion. We don't want beautifully engineered bolts made from the wrong material.
I've emailed a couple of companies who may be able to help and they are asking how many sets we want to order, so let's start counting, add your name below if you're interested.

1 Staffordmike

Mike, before going to the trouble of getting someone to make them up, call the supplier i mentioned a few posts ago, i would but I'm in work atm.

I definitely think sourcing a UK bolt supplier is the way to go, just to avoid language confusion. We don't want beautifully engineered bolts made from the wrong material.
I've emailed a couple of companies who may be able to help and they are asking how many sets we want to order, so let's start counting, add your name below if you're interested.

1 Staffordmike
2 Murano16v

I've just emailed a UK company. Waiting reply

This is not a sig at you i promise, but do you understand why I'm not quite so trusting of dealers and the info they provide?

Don't worry this is one customer who has had his fill of Abarth dealers and Abarth UK. :bang: (n)

I'm not totally convinced that it is the bolts but it's worth a try.
I think the issue is the same as used to occur with Fox mountain bike forks with 'platform damping'. They'd rattle too. It's the valve that controls the oil flow that allies the damping characteristics to change depending on the terrain.
If the bolt was moving in the bore, it would be the faces of the bush that would wear away making the bolts go loose. I checked the tightness of mine this am and they were still really tight with no sign of abrasion on the faces of the mating bush / bolt head surfaces.

Personally i wouldn't go spending loads on custom fasteners when you'll be able to get suitable ones off the shelf. The place I'm working at currently manufactures automotive tooling for the likes of JLR, Mercedes, Ford and GM so we've got lots of M10 and M12 cap head screws used to build tools, we pay about 20-30p per screw and we use far longer bolts than you'd need on a 500.

I'm not totally convinced that it is the bolts but it's worth a try.
I think the issue is the same as used to occur with Fox mountain bike forks with 'platform damping'. They'd rattle too. It's the valve that controls the oil flow that allies the damping characteristics to change depending on the terrain.
If the bolt was moving in the bore, it would be the faces of the bush that would wear away making the bolts go loose. I checked the tightness of mine this am and they were still really tight with no sign of abrasion on the faces of the mating bush / bolt head surfaces.

I had Koni FSD's on my Mito and there was never a hint of any knocking, nor if I'm right any mention on the Alfa forum of any others with that problem. Yet the Abarth forum is full of knocking Koni threads. I'm assuming the shocks on the Mito and Abarth are the same basic design. The fitment might therefore be the problem, but as you say if everything is still tight then how can there be any movement. Maybe I'll just let the dealer work it out.

Last edited:
Question - they said the material was galvanised zinc .......... which is a coating so I am unsure as what is a base material. Anyone know ??

I don't know if this tells you anything (I am not a technician or engineer) but these are the characteristics of my custom made bolts proposed by already known company:
- tempered & stainless steel material grade 40 H was used for M10x1.25x65 / 10,9 class bolts
- tempered & stainless steel material grade 45 was used for M12x1.25x95 / 8,8 class bolts

I had Koni FSD's on my Mito and there was never a hint of any knocking, nor if I'm right any mention on the Alfa forum of any others with that problem. Yet the Abarth forum is full of knocking Koni threads. I'm assuming the shocks on the Mito and Abarth are the same basic design. The fitment might therefore be the problem, but as you say if everything is still tight then how can there be any movement. Maybe I'll just let the dealer work it out.

The Mito has a completely different suspension system though, being based upon the Grande Punto platform. The car is different, the dampers are different in basic design (length, travel, etc), so the valving design will be completely different.

It's obviously the 500 FSDs though isn't it.

Many people have the OE dampers. They don't rattle.
People have Bilstein B14 dampers (including myself). They don't rattle.
People have Koni FSDs. They do rattle.

Hmmm, I wonder what could be the issue...?

Last edited:
The Mito has a completely different suspension system though, being based upon the Grande Punto platform. The car is different, the dampers are different in basic design (length, travel, etc), so the valving design will be completely different.

It's obviously the 500 FSDs though isn't it.

Many people have the OE dampers. They don't rattle.
People have Bilstein B14 dampers (including myself). They don't rattle.
People have Koni FSDs. They do rattle.

Hmmm, I wonder what could be the issue...?

Ok, so what do you think is best plan of action then?

Back