Technical Knocking sound when driven on a rough road - Serious?

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking sound when driven on a rough road - Serious?

Schern

Hi, I'm looking at buying a Panda and had a test drive in one today. Out on the road (fairly smooth) it felt and sounded absolutely fine. However the garage was located down a fairly rough (but still tarmac-ed) road and whilst driving down this there was a fair amount of knocking/banging coming from the front. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Just trying to decide if it's something I can ignore and is just something they all do (being a small, light, budget friendly car) or if there's something I need to look out for? I wondered about it being the radiator moving about in it's mounts or something along those lines. It was a 2007 car with 32,000 miles on if that's any help in Eleganza spec. Thanks!

Yeah, that probably sounds like the best idea! It's one of those things... if the garage was on the roadside like most places I would never have noticed it. Think I'm going to go for the car anyway, I could replace the entire front suspension relatively cheaply worst come to the worst as I'd do all the work myself. Just wanted to check it wasn't something others had experienced and was likely to be a big issue.

Droplinks are a likely suspect. Cheap as chips & a five minute job (if not rusted!). I had one come loose on a brand new Mk3 Panda & it made the most godawful racket, but a quick tighten took less than a minute & it's been fine for 40000 miles. Definitely wasn't worth taking it back to the dealership for something this easy, even on a three day old car.

Come to think of it, even replacing the whole front suspension isn't that much of a deal if you're handy with the spanners & the car is otherwise good.

Also you might check the exhaust; the OEM exhaust & its mountings aren't the longest lasting of parts; the catalytic converter is integral with the manifold and rather expensive; the rest can be sourced cheaply enough.

Check the interior carpets are dry; the heater matrix & it's connections have been known to fail, and it's a bitch of a job to get at.

Last edited:
Droplinks are a likely suspect. Cheap as chips & a five minute job (if not rusted!). I had one come loose on a brand new Mk3 Panda & it made the most godawful racket, but a quick tighten took less than a minute & it's been fine for 40000 miles. Definitely wasn't worth taking it back to the dealership for something this easy, even on a three day old car.

Come to think of it, even replacing the whole front suspension isn't that much of a deal if you're handy with the spanners & the car is otherwise good.

Also you might check the exhaust; the OEM exhaust & its mountings aren't the longest lasting of parts; the catalytic converter is integral with the manifold and rather expensive; the rest can be sourced cheaply enough.

Check the interior carpets are dry; the heater matrix & it's connections have been known to fail, and it's a bitch of a job to get at.

Thanks for the information... bit too late now as we've bought it haha. But at least I know what to give a check over when I pick it up on Saturday! Thanks for your help everyone.

Back