Punto (Mk2/2b) Just put a deposit on a Fiat Punto 1.8 16V HGT what key?

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Just put a deposit on a Fiat Punto 1.8 16V HGT what key?

ElegantSpoon

Hello!!!

I put a deposit down today on a Fiat Punto 1.8 16V HGT as a runner for work that I pick up on Monday.

Seemed like a really nice little car and pretty quick!

One question I have is what keys should I have? The cars only got one basic key that looks like it once had a button on it.

It has central locking etc but you have to put the key in the door. I've looked on eBay and there seems to be a lot of three button keys for the Punto.

I'm really not sure what to get so any help is welcome!!

The Mk2/mk2b puntos never had 3 button keys, only ever one button

General rule of thumb is you should always have two keys one with remote and one without dependent on model and if remote locking is fitted HGTs should have remote locking

What year is it

THanks for the speedy reply!

Its a 2001 and has Navigation, CD changer, and quite a few options so I thought it would have remote locking.

Its only got the one key thats a bit tired and I'm sure it looks like its missing a button.

the buttons on the remotes are a piece of rubber which disintegrates after a few year you have two choices if this is the case either put up with it or pay a fortune for a new button to be posted airmail from italy which is what I did worked out at something like £15 for two tiny pieces of rubber

Hmm that doesn't sound great. I see there are keys on ebay etc to swap the innerds out.

How much do Fiat charge to program one of these keys?

Last time I bought a Key it was for my C Class and that was eye watering!!!

Well I've spent hours trawling the net for an answer and it doesn't seem that conclusive. Its a mix of only dealers can do it for anywhere between £80-160 or an independent can/n't do it.

Well I've spent hours trawling the net for an answer and it doesn't seem that conclusive. Its a mix of only dealers can do it for anywhere between £80-160 or an independent can/n't do it.

I had similar problem with my old alfa key
Key was ok but the little button on top was broken
All the chip inside the key was intact
So i bought a second hand key from ebay that was working and had a local key cutter to swap the bits from working key to my key
Cost me £30 and worked
It would help if you post pic of the key and i presume everything is intact inside?
I only ever had 2 fiat with remote central locking and one had separate fob and other had button on actual key

I will post a pic up on Monday night when I get it :)

Possibly the body swap might fix the main key but I still need a spare. I will go to the main dealer at some point and ask.

I paid £995 for it. 2001, 80k miles, with service and MOT, new tyres and some free age related marks :D

Heres a pic!

rocket.jpg

Well I picked it up and gave it straight back! They hadn't complete some of the work agreed!!

I did have a quick look at the key and I'm certain it would of had a button on it and most likely looked like this:

1.jpg

How easy is a swap like that?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back