ive got this other dead laptop....

Currently reading:
ive got this other dead laptop....

its a Toshiba satellite pro m10
daught bought it off facebook for 2 quid, came with no hard rive boots from hirens cd fine, if i put a hard drive in it it wont turn on, any ideas?
not sure if the hard drives i am trying are any good or not got nothing else to test them in

has no hdd caddy but drive seems to just push in, is that right?

found a pic of a caddy on ebay and it dont look like it does much apart from make it easier to slide hard drive in

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I suspect if you're just pushing the drive in sans caddy then you're shorting something out; hence nada boot.

The caddy will ensure it locates correctly on the power/data connections. Get the caddy, or strip it down so can you confirm that HDD is connecting correctly without it.

The laptop should still POST even if the hard drive is useless it would give you some form of error that the hard drive isn't bootable, if it's posting when the hard drive isn't connected then I think the problem is a deeper hardware fault.

The Caddy shouldnt make a difference, other then to comfortably seat the hdd.
Plug in the hdd, remove the Battery then the ram. press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Put the RAM back in, then the battery, plug in the power cable and try again.
It would be very unlucky to have 2 HDD with an identicle fault that prevent the laptop from booting. I would also check where the laptop plugs onto the MB (the IDE socket) that there is nothing in it which could be causing the short circuit.
you could also try changing the ram, if youve some spare.

buy a usb to data HDD (assuming they are data hard drives) connect the hard drive to another working computer or, to the broken one if you can fully boot it up using the cd, then copy the contents of the boot up cd to the hdd, then this should see the laptop being able to boot up throughout he HDD.

Back