iTunes Media Back-Up

Currently reading:
iTunes Media Back-Up

I use iTunes as my media player and back it up every few months onto my external HD if I've added any new media to it.

Simply done by copying and pasteing content of iTunes folder in windows explorer.

I've done it this way for the last few years now, and not had an issue until when I tried to do it a few days ago, and it just would not copy over.

It'll let me copy individual files, and album folders etc, but not everything at once. I've got just over 48gb that I'm trying to copy, with adiquate space on the external HD (700gb+).

Am I missing something simple here? I have upgraded my iTunes verson between back-up's would this possibly have caused an issue? Have they done something to stop me copying my files?

Jon.

Im pretty sure there is a back up option in the settings that allows you to do a backup, if you cant sort the copy/paste issue.

Backup option in iTunes only allows for burning to CD/DVD which is almost useless whe you have a big library. Not had any issues myself - I too just copy the complete iTunes folder from time to time (43.5GB).

Doh! sorry, I completly forgot about that.

Backup option in iTunes only allows for burning to CD/DVD which is almost useless whe you have a big library. Not had any issues myself - I too just copy the complete iTunes folder from time to time (43.5GB).

Ta for that. What verson of iTunes are you useing at the mo? I've iTunes 9 (9.1.0.79) which is when this seems to have started. Possibly my computer though.

I've another external HD (320gb) thats sort of spare at the mo, so will try a transfer onto that and see what happens.

I'm running the latest version as well. It's probably not an iTunes issue, more Windows Explorer. What error do you get exactly?

It doesn't come up with an error, I highlight and click copy, then click paste in desired folder and it comes up with the box (progress box when copying) says 'prepairing to copy' (my PC only does this when there is alot of stuff to copy) or something similar, and then disapears and it doesn't copy or do anything.

Have you tried copying it over in parts? It might be that your computer cannot handle it because it has got too big.

It will let me do it in part, but its such a pain :eek:

I thought that could be an issue, but the computer easily transfered 200gb from one external HD to the new one when I upgraded it.

I'd have thought it'd come up with an error message if that was the case though :confused:

Back