General Is there an easy way to tell if a cambelt has been changed?

Currently reading:
General Is there an easy way to tell if a cambelt has been changed?

rockhampton

Hi all,

I've just got myself a lovely Marea weekend 155 HLX in metallic red and I love it. It has got 85000 on the clock, and goes like a dream - I bought it after having a go of my girlfriend's 115 ELX which she loves. I got the car at a decent price, however there is little paperwork after 60000 miles - so of course, my main concern is the timing belt. I know someone who has some experience of Fiats, and he states that the cambelt is not the original one - he pulled back the cover and the makers stamp on the belt is different to the Fiat original - I can't remember the make offhand, but I'm sure it begins with a G - I'll check it again next time the belt stops at a suitable position. The belt appears in decent condition - there are no cracks in it or anything, however I don't want to risk it.
I guess it's pretty unlikely that any 20v engine would get to 85k with the original belt, but I really need to know if I should change it urgently or I could potentially wait until 100k - I'm currently in the process of writing to the two previous owners to see if they could shed any light - in the meantime, can anyone give me some pointers? (fortunately, my girlfriend just had hers done at 43k so she's sorted!)

Cheers,

Yes, that was it - Gates. You're right though about not taking the risk - I'll see what i can find out from the previous owners, and if it's not conclusive, I'll take it to that place in Birmingham and get it done.

Cheers,

why dont you loosen off the timing belt cover and inspect the belt. it will be obvious if it needs changing. any cracking or a shiny surface with lines scored onto the outer side means it needs changing as a matter of urgency. if the belt inbetween the teeth appears to be thinning then it means it has done a good few thousand miles and hasnt been changed recently, although that does not mean it needs changing.

a agree gates are good, in fact i'd say they're the best. i only use gates belts.

Thanks for that - I did have a look at it the other day - there is no cracking or scoring - it is a little shiny, but does not look excessively so - the 'gates' markings are perfectly clear too. The belt outer is nice and smooth at the several places I looked at. I've sent off letters to the previous 2 owners now, so I'm just awaiting their responses, fingers crossed.... I'll pop the cover off at the weekend and have a nose at the teeth as you suggest.
thanks for your help,

Glenn

Back